Narrowband

EZcap

bomberbaz

Hello all.

I am currently trying to build a working video outfit for my back garden and I am almost there but looking at software packages and some aspects of my hardware so looking for help.

Read this mentioned on here and wondered how good it actually is http://www.ezcap.tv/usb-video-capture/ezcap116-capture-card?zenid=f0avdhqrc5k4a12fpm86elr7g7&

Currently using sharpcap which is free so what is the big difference between the two and also what will EZcap bring to me for £22 that I don't get already with sharpcap for free (keep the replies non-technical if possible please )  :p  :grin:

I am refering to both the hardware and software differences of them both.

TIA

Steve

I have one of those, that I got off flea bay as part of a camera purchase, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astronomy-CCD-Camera-/111663558700?nma=true&si=O0eg2vhsW0Tj1E1iR9ntjGbpcZQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.

The device converts the output of the camera, base band video, & encodes it into a digital stream, via USB, which the PC can then use.....

The device works ok after installing the drivers from the CD & then downloading\updating from that site. The supplied video capture software leaves a lot to be desired, but after drivers are installed, I found that sharpcap2 quite happily works with the camera directly....

Random Wibble! :p

Sometimes I compare the raw video output (on screen) from my cams.

And I begin to wonder... Captured images can seem rather "softer"? :o

I am in the position (financially & otherwise!) where I can finally upgrade

my Desktop PC (still running Widoze XP here! lol) and I now wonder...

Beyond the ubiquitous "Video Dongle", there do exist "industrial strength"

(multi-channel) PCI EX etc. Video Capture Cards... Then I start thinking...

What is the "weakest link" in my hardware? Could it be the USB capture?

One day, maybe, I'll finally "get there"? :D

P.S. Recently, I purchased a £60 4-channel video multiplexer box - The

sort of thing a hidden army of "surveillance people" might watch us all. lol

It never really worked! If I touched the case (twisted the PCB) it flickered!

Chris,

If you want to go down the PC card route, you need to ensure that you buy those that are designed for the broadcast industry, not the mickey mouse stuff that passes for the security \ home industries.....

e.g.  http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-2567-blackmagic-decklink-hd-extreme-4k.aspx?st=05&source=paidclick&gclid=CJeS0rPC5sUCFUjlwgodsT0A5Q   but they aren't cheap....

Video Astronomy is like the Swann and Flauders song below just substitute buying "extra bits" for each workman.

"Beyond the ubiquitous "Video Dongle", there do exist "industrial strength"

(multi-channel) PCI EX etc. Video Capture Cards... Then I start thinking...

What is the "weakest link" in my hardware? Could it be the USB capture?"  - totally agree thats why I am saving up for a Lodestar X2 .

The American guys tend to use Dazzle from Pinnacle(?) instead of the EZCAP but you have the same problems/limits - IMHO.

Not sure how to compare as EZCAP will work happily with Sharpcap2 unless you mean that s/w that comes with the EZCAP which is for Video/film creation.

Agree Sharpcap2 is the best s/w (IMO) for the EZCAP.

The Gas Man Cometh - Flanders and Swann

'Twas on a Monday morning the gas man came to call. The gas tap wouldn't turn - I wasn't getting gas at all. He tore out all the skirting boards to try and find the main And I had to call a carpenter to put them back again. Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do. 'Twas on a Tuesday morning the carpenter came round. He hammered and he chiselled and he said: "Look what I've found: your joists are full of dry rot But I'll put them all to rights". Then he nailed right through a cable and out went all the lights! Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do. 'Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came. He called me Mr. Sanderson, which isn't quite the name. He couldn't reach the fuse box without standing on the bin And his foot went through a window so I called the glazier in. Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do. 'Twas on a Thursday morning the glazier came round With his blow torch and his putty and his merry glazier's song. He put another pane in - it took no time at all But I had to get a painter in to come and paint the wall. Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do. 'Twas on a Friday morning the painter made a start. With undercoats and overcoats he painted every part: Every nook and every cranny - but I found when he was gone He'd painted over the gas tap and I couldn't turn it on! Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do. On Saturday and Sunday they do no work at all; So 'twas on a Monday morning that the gasman came to call...

Chris ..just sounds a bad unit..my first unit was faulty I got I replaced and upgraded ..no problem...I have a four camera array all portable to a 12v monitor..the feed to my monitor is split and an av feed go's to my usb grabber on laptop great system..going to add a sw allview mount to this..the cctv kit is the way to go in my view..ive been using it over a year..

Thanks for the responses people. I think i will try running both together off seperate usb ports. My system is fairly high end and shouldnt have any problems with blackages but thats not a for sure. I have sharpcap and another programme that came with the pd1 that i can try running together. (Name escapes me)

I will post up once i have finished testing and tell you how i get on.

Steve

I think my (dodgy?) EasyCap dongle has finally been "found out" by 

a recent upgrade to Window Seven 64 bit. A very common problem.

Spent much of today downloading / installing non-working drivers! :(

Steve... Davy... (Anyone)? Which Windoze version are you running?

Do you have capture *hardware* that works on Win 7 (64 bit) etc. :o

Looks like the above are similar to ones sold by "Modern Astronomy"?

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasAstroVideo.html#AVaccessories

(Scroll down - Priced at £39 - I'll try anything to get running again! :)

chris, for now i do not intend using additional hardware as I will be sat at my PC when observing and so will simply use my mouse and keypad along with sharpcap and another programme that I keep forgetting the name of, doh!

Ta muchly, Guys! :)

It's (still) not clear to me whether I have a "genuine" EasyCAP. Despite considering

the size / style of the painted-on Hieroglyphs - In a fashion worthy of Champollion. :D

Life's too short - I want to try something different. <G> Will let you know if it works! ;)

Well anyway... The USB capture dongle from "Bern at Modern Astronomy" arrived

by return today. I installed the driver (under Win7x64) and it works just fine. Yay! :D

So, back in business - Great was the relief thereof! Good (video) man, our "Bern".

Not at all unhappy to rid myself of the whole EasyCAP thing... :p

Archived