Narrowband

Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus & Arzachel + 23 panel mosaic

Joseki

First shots with my new 200pds.  I'm using a modified Lifecam Cinema webcam.  All captures made with 1000 frames, using just the red channel for conversion to mono  which seemed to give slightly better sharpness.  Processed pretty much standard,  PIPP -> AS!2 (best 20% ) -> RS6 -> MS-ICE -> GIMP (the RS6 step for wavelets was a hassle for the 23 panels).  I'd say Illumination is pretty uniform and no flats were needed.
A three panel mosaic of Ptolemaeus (153 km across), Alphonsus (118 km across ) and Arzachel (96 km across), using a gso 3x barlow.

20150526 detail

Which came out a bit soft but good enough to be able to see quite a bit of detail.  I'm not sure how much extra detail I'm getting with the 200pds over say the 100ed, it would be nice to try since they're the same focal length (a test for next time perhaps).  I should have extended that mosaic out a bit really as I could have got the rupes recta in quite easily.  I was distracted a bit by a curious hedgehog though  :grin:
And a 23 panel mosaic (perhaps more than strictly necessary).

20150526 Ful disc

which is nice to have but the first image is more interesting to me. 

Seeing was probably pretty awful. I got some footage of Jupiter that was rubbish.

I'm wondering how much better results I'd get with a ASI120MM, though I'll be buying one in a couple of months anyway for guiding.  I'm getting 30 fps with the Lifecam so not a big rush for lunar.

John,

Good shots. I use the 120MM-s, and its a fantastic camera. I did shoot the same targets quite a while back when I was testing out the new version of PIPP (IE to see how it handled windy conditions)...so include a link to it for a comparison.

http://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/gallery/album_3180/gallery_27945_3180_3033302.png

You should find that you might not need the barlow. I was using the Edge800 for this one and I don't think I needed one. The image edge artefacts were left in to show how the stacking programs then handled the video. I also use it for planetary and it really does a good job (not as good as the 174 that was recently released, but good enough for my requirements). Like you I wanted to guide with it as well at a future point, and find that is has good sensitivity in that respect. I don't think you ill be disappointed in it.

Regards

Thanks Blazar, yes that's a big improvement over mine, the 174 would be wasted on my laptop anyway so it will definitely be the 120mm. I was using that new version of PIPP too, I remember reading your original thread, thanks for posting that.

Archived