Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sending goods overseas to be repaired.

Has anyone ever sent goods out of the EU to be repaired? If so, how did you deal with the duty side of things? 

I'm sending my Portaball back to the US to be upgraded/repaired. My understanding is I only have to pay VAT on the cost of the upgrade/repair but does anyone know how I go about proving this so I don't get whacked with the whole import duty? Also, how do I get it to the US without being liable for their import duty?

Any ideas?!

I have found this - http://www.reading.ac.uk/post/departmental-mail/external-mail/post-vat-info.aspx#repair

Perhaps it'll all become apparent when I fill in the shipping information with DHL. 

Packages need to be marked up as being returned to manufacturer for repair, then they won't be liable for duty. Your freight forwarder should be able to assist with this as if it is incorrectly marked it will get stuck in customs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to return my QSI back to the US and they have provided me with a couple of forms to download and print that goes on and in the box stating that it's going back for warranty work and so should not be charged customs on the return leg.

If EU then there should not be duty to pay on the items, it will have been paid as part of the repair or if the repair is performed in warrenty (no charge) then nothing to pay.

If EU then there should not be duty to pay on the items, it will have been paid as part of the repair or if the repair is performed in warrenty (no charge) then nothing to pay.

OP clearly stated outside EU.....

I need to return a mount to Switzerland and claim the duty back. I've no ideal how to do that so am just sitting on it at the moment!

I hope the Portaball gets sorted ok. Are you sending the whole thing back or just the ball bit?

The more I look into this (which I should have done before starting the post probably) the more I think it's just a case of putting the right code on the right form...which is the CN23....and asking the people at the other end to do the same thing. 

I'm actually sending the whole thing back, except the trusses. Dave Juckem (the current owner) is going to completely refurbish it for me, including new electricals, recoating the lovely Zambutto mirror (if needed), a new secondary and housing, new Qwikfinder which has electrical connections in its base (rather than a plug and cable) new two-inch focuser and a new improved base. Basically, he says it'll be virtually identical to a brand new one at a fraction of the $3400 (plus VAT and import duty) a brand new one costs.

I'm keen to do this as it's showing its age now and with niche models like this you never can be certain how long people who can look after these things will continue to do so. Now seems a good time to do it too as we've got eight weeks of non-dark skies. 

I returned a Canon 1V to the UK for minor repair Value about 800 quid at the time, I had a hell of a job getting it back off customs without paying import duty, so beware if not in the EU which Bulgaria wasn't at the time.

They wanted 168 pounds form me for my own gear, it took 3 weeks to sort it out and we had to lie like hell.

Alan.

OP clearly stated outside EU.....

I need to return a mount to Switzerland and claim the duty back. I've no ideal how to do that so am just sitting on it at the moment!

I hope the Portaball gets sorted ok. Are you sending the whole thing back or just the ball bit?

Damn, didn't quite see the "sent goods out of the EU" bit correctly, I read it as "sent goods out to the EU".

One little word missed and it really makes a mess of the whole reply. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mind you I did  similar about a scope, where I put an "e" in the word not a "o" and spelt Forget not Forgot.

That made the sentence then the exact opposite of what I meant.

The first half then read Forget the scope, the second half said how good it was. Now that really confused the person. :confused: :confused:

One day I may, just may, learn to read, and maybe write. :grin: :grin:

Well, it was collected yesterday by DHL and was meant to arrive in Wisconsin by the end of today - cost a bit, let me tell you. 

Reached East Midlands airport without a problem; cleared customs, but now the "shipment is on hold". 

I've phoned DHL who tell me they need a valid VAT number (this is a private shipment so I think they're ok without that) and an EORI number, which seems to be some sort of code exporters and importers use to do stuff with things. 

Here we go!

Archived