SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Software stack?

Hi, I am just getting back in to imaging after a long enforced break busy doing other stuff (only ever got up to speed at a theoretical level). 

I was about to re-build an old PC to control the NEQ6 and 1000D etc.  

I am amazed how much I have forgotten (or never understood) especially the mount control software modules and how they relate to each other.  

OK with these 2....

APT - capture for the 1000D

PHD for guiding

confused by these... 

ASCOM  ....not sure where this sits (between PHD and the mount?)

EQMOD  ...?? related to or duplicates ASCOM??

Can anyone provide a brief overview of how these 2 relate to each other and to the mount?   

Are there any others I have missed or any new packages I should consider?

Thanks, Tony.

ASCOM is like an operating system for your astronomy devices. Software, such as PHD, talks to the devices in the same way regardless of brand and peculiarities, so that the software doesn't have to be able to drive all types of hardware out there.

EQMOD is an advanced ASCOM driver for Synta (Skywatcher) mounts. As such, it lets any ASCOM-compliant application able to control your mount without knowing anything about it.

ASCOM drivers are available for a couple of different categories of hardware: mounts, cameras, domes, safety (safe to open roof and image), switches (in and out control), focusers, filter wheels and rotators. Hence, it is possible to write application software, such as CCD Autopilot or Cartes du Ciel, without including any hardware specific code at all; it only has to talk ASCOM.

Clear 'nuf?  :tongue:

All the best,

Per

Clear 'nuf?   :cool:  fo'sho....   Thanks Per that really clears things up, I tried reading threads but still wasn't sure of the relationships.  

With those fundamentals sorted I can proceed with confidence (at least until I trip and fall :smiley: )

Tony.

Archived