Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adding to my lens collection

Hi, Slashdog. I won't attemp to answer your question because there are far more experienced Loungers than I who will give you advice.

But they will want to know what scope you have, what you want to look at (Moon, planets, Deep Sky Objects, wildfowl, etc. - only joking with that last one), what type of skies/seeing you have (city, country, Light Pollution) and whether you are visual only or thinking of Astro Photography. You should also give an indication of your budget.

So you may as well get those questions out of the way now, provide that kind of info, and watch for the answers.

Enjoy the trip ...!

p.s. They will write about eyepieces or EPs, not 'lenses'.

I'm hearing ya floater.....I'm loving looking at the moon and Jupiter so any eye piece to enhance that......and I'm really looking forward to orions arrival and if possible view the Orion Nebula..my telescope is a skywatchers 130 eq2

Your scope has a focal length of 650mm, its going to take pretty small focal length Ep's to reach high magnification unless barlowed. If it's the X2 barlow, then your 10mm will give you x130 mag, potentially that's not a bad start but don't be tempted to push your magnification too much , firstly the atmospheric conditions in the u.k are not great and can degrade your views, secondly, the lower the focal length of the eyepiece, the tighter the eye relief your going to have (proximity of your eye to the lens).

I don't have that much experience with different Ep's so I couldn't really offer a suggestion, a budget in mind will help others make a suggestion for you.

Although I've heard the BST range offer good upgrade options.

As far as filters are concerned, a moon filter may be an option. Many people don't use them, some do. Coloured filters don't tend to do alot, I bought a set and haven't seen the "light of day" for a long time

Archived