Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader versus Leica zooms

Davey-T

Maybe this should be in the eyepiece section but as I've only ever used the Baader zoom for Solar in the LS60DS it's here.

Just spent a couple of hours on and off comparing the Baader MK111 zoom to the Leica Aspheric zoom, wish I could say they were like chalk and cheese but for solar they're pretty similar the Leica seems slightly brighter, not necessarily a good thing for solar as it shows the floaters in my eyes more :)

So on solar the Baader is pretty good and the Leica, at something like four times the price is also very good, but not four times better, not a very subjective review as only tried on one target in scope.

So will sell the Baader, might  just get enough to buy an 1.25 reducer for the Leica  :grin: and return borrowed one (thanks Stu)

Dave

Dave, although these things are never four times as good, I hope you see more improvements in the Leica as you use it more. I could definitely see a difference in clarity when we did a brief comparison at Madeley.

I have found the Leica Vario to be the best performer of zooms on Ha solar thus far :smiley: However, I must add that I have not tried the ASPH or the Baader MKIII zooms.

Will try to do a longer test, just wish we could have one day without these damn clouds, the view of the clouds is pretty similar in both eyepieces  :grin:

We were blessed with a clear blue sky on the Eclipse day at Madeley Stu and I did say I'd never complain about clouds again  :eek:

Dave

Seeing is a great leveller Dave. Since doing my comparison between the Lunt and Baader wedges, the seeing has been poor and the performance much more similar.

The ultimate performance will be better, but you do need the conditions for it to show.

I've not done solar viewing but do know that often eyepieces work differently on the sun vs nighttime use. One example is the Pentax XF zoom (not the dearer XW version)..I had one of these for night use and it was awful,truly awful. The outer field was a mess of CA and I sold it immediately. Yet I know others love that zoom for solar, and I still use today an XF 8.5mm which is an excellent ep for Astro.

I have owned both Baader and Leica zooms ( not the aspheric but the older Vario which is every bit as good as the aspheric optically but with a lesser field of view), and I do think the Leica bests the Baader. But on most nights, on most objects, I feel the differences are so small as to make it not worth tying up the extra cash that could be used for something else.

Of course, if money is no object why wouldn't you just buy the best? And the Leica is the best. For me though, I've gone back to the Baader and with my skies locally I'm happy with it:-).

Dave

Archived