Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn -26 May 2015, From The UK.

PJW66

Imaged around 00:45 . Seeing seemed quite reasonable considering the 19 degrees elevation. Best 12,000 frames from 28,000. Orion Optics VX10L +APM 2.7X Barlow +ASI120MC-S. Managed to get around 105 frames per second for about 4.5 minutes , although the image was a bit dim on the laptop screen tbh. Used PIPP,AS!2,Registax6,AstraImage3, and PS Elements for processing/noise reduction.Thanks for looking!post-42932-0-11355400-1432731898.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next time i will lower the gain and framerate to maybe obtain a smoother image. Saturn seems so much more difficult than Jupiter,so i guess changing my usual ASI/Firecapture settings will help.

Cheers,Phil.

Cheers Sammak127. I spent 2 hours earlier in the evening drift-aligning my Celestron cg5 mount- in order to get the best possible tracking on Saturn later. It seemed to pay off with the planet staying put in the smallish imaging box for more than 5 minutes at a time. Every little helps!

Phil

I think you can just make out a 'white storm' on the equator and just left of centre. I took a shot at around 0:50 and I can make out the same feature - just!

I see it.A very slight sort-of perturbed colouring in that area. I'm thinking a bit more deconvolution in AstraImage3 might bring it out a bit more but with extra noise to contend with.So its a sort-of balancing act between grainy details and smoothed -out details. Cheers for pointing this out Stub Mandrel!

Phil

This is my image, I have done a nicer-looking version but the spot is less/not visible. I would have thought it was wishful thinking if it didn't come out in yours as well.
I wish it was half as good as yours!

White Storm

This is a viciously processed version to highlight the spot:

White storm highlighted

Cheers Stuart,
                               i had the gain up quite high intentionally to get a faster exposure value ,so i guess that caused a bit of noise despite the number of frames.the live image was pretty dim which doesn't help the s/n i guess!

28000 frames. Will have to give that a
try. It has come out very well.
Well done.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.Yes i thought the more frames the better but the trade-off was a dimmer image so maybe the pros and cons balanced out!

Thanks Stub Mandrel
.I see what you mean about the white storm detail showing in the 'very'processed image! i'm thinking smaller apertures may cope better with the low level atmospherics as long as the magnification is kept reasonable ,such as f16-17 max. Next time i image Saturn i may try my 2x barlow to get the f ratio down to about f13.It will be a smaller image ,but may be less noisy and a good bit brighter for the same framerate etc.

Phil

Thanks for the TIFF file Phil. It looks to me like you have artifacts caused by alignment point cracks especially on the rings above the north pole. The noise patterns on the globe could also be a result of this as its not a regular noise pattern. What size APs did you use? I would not go below size 50 and preferably size 70-100 keeping them away from the edge of the image.

I would not go below f15. You could easily take a 6 min avi or use winjupos to combine the stacked images to control the noise.

Very good detail for the UK considering we are at such a low alt for Saturn.

Cheers Stuart,
                          i think the alignment boxes were 50. i will try a few different ap sizes to see how it goes. i'll have a look at winjupos... and try to figure it out!

Phil.

Mike Philips has done some very good winjupos tutorials on youtube. Well worth giving it a crack! In theory you could use over 30 mins of data this way though the seeing would have to be consistent over that time which is never easy in the UK.

Archived