SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this the GRS? Help a newbie!

rev_dom

I was out in the back garden last night and got good views of Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon, and, despite searching for DSO, not a lot else (I did find a double cluster which is marked on my Planesphere in the North, but I don't know what it's called).

As you can tell, I'm totally new to this ;) I also managed to attach my Fuji XT1 to the scope, and took some (poor quality) images. After a bit of processing, I can see what I think might be the GRS. I might be being daft, of course, and being quite badly colour blind doesn't help(!), which is why I thought I'd post the pic here and see what you all think.

Sorry for the poor quality image, and for my newbieism!

Dom

post-43964-0-88987400-1432721309.jpg

Yep, I would say that is it, nice one.

It was certainly visible last night as I had some very clear views of it when the seeing stabilsed for a little while

If the GRS is on the image - it could be on the other side of Jupiter, then is would be on the lower edge of the lower equitorial band.

I guess therefore it would be that slight bump/pimple that is at the lower left (7 or 8 O'clock).

The double cluster thing is likely to be The Double Cluster in Perseus, CAldwell 14 is it's reference.

Yay! Thank you all - I have indeed put the image the right way up :)

I thought when I was looking through the scope that I could see it, but it was very fuzzy and, like I say, my colour vision isn't the best ;)

Thanks to all, and to ronin for the double cluster reference. In many ways I'm more excited by the deep sky stuff, but realise that the planets are much easier to locate!

The right way up, thats a fine attempt too for the image.

Thank you. I'm pleased with it, although it's not exactly sharp or detailed!

I'm trying very hard to tell myself I don't need a motordrive for the scope, and a dedicated CCD camera, and a better Barlow lens (the Fuji was attached to a 2x Barlow), and... I will resist - I don't want to have all the gear but no idea ;)

Archived