SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mumble-mumble, summertime, mumble.

VikkiFord

It was a surprise clear night last night here in sunny Portsmouth. Considered pulling a little bit of a late night as it's work today.

Trotted outside, as you do, at 10:45pm (obviously pm, d'oh!) and was faced with a sky that still had a lick of blue in it. After gathering my jaw from the floor I went to bed instead.

I knew true dark was only 40 minutes long, from about 0043 to 0120 but flippin' 'eck! At 2300 I couldn't even see Polaris or the Plough!!!

Checking today I see that we don't get any true dark now - Astronomical Twilight just stomps its heavy boots right through from end of evening Nautical Twilight to start of morning Nautical Twilight.

I'm sorry, I just, just go to, to do this: Whaaaa-whaaaa-whaaaaaaaaaaa! Can I add the lying on back kicking legs and thrashing arms about? Yeah, why not  :shocked:

Guess what, it's going to get worse yet before it starts to get better. Why did I pick this hobby? Oh, that's right, it's FUN!!! Roll on August  :sad:

Hopefully I can get some moon shots done when it is not so far west in the sky at 2300. I'm sort of stuck to Friday and Saturday nights (clouds permitting) since I can grab a lie in the following morning - hang on, it will already be morning - later that morning  :grin:

Wow am I looking forward to the Autumn. Warm dark nights. I kinda got my good kit a bit late in the year. Only used it three times but I need a good run at it, time wise, to do a few experiments.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Hi Vikki,

I was surprised by how light it was last night too. All's not lost, though. I had a good look at Saturn, Jupiter and Venus last night, and the waxing gibbous moon. Although there wasn't much else to see (I only stayed out between 10 and 11), I do know from experience that, from about 11.30 at this time of year, the sky does get dark enough to make observing worthwhile. The milky way looks spectacular this time of year (at a dark site and from about midnight), plus there's globular clusters, the more southerly messiers ... I'm planning an all night session around the next new moon (can't wait!)

Kev

Can I add the lying on back kicking legs and thrashing arms about?

Suggest you do this on June 7.

That is the peak of the Arietids meteor shower.

Lying down is a good way to look up easily, not sure how you are going to explain the kicking and thrashing however - maybe a horizontal anti-rain dance?

No cannot take back tantrum, as they make you feel better :grin: ..

Even if you cannot make out visual objects if you use stellarium you will be able to see lots. If you are careful and Jupiter is not too near the sun you can sometimes see it in daylight.. I know I had too much time on my hands :smiley: .

So, a lighter sky isn't necessarily all doom and gloom?

Definitely not. You just have to make more of an effort is all ... The Milky Way, from a dark enough site at about 2am will knock your socks off!

Summertime and the seein' ain't easy.

Summertime and the nightsky is so bright.

Summertime and my 'scope is so night shy.

why oh whyyyyy is Polaris awayyyyyyyyyy.

I will see what I can do. Thanks  :grin:

Just so happens I have my observing log with me today, and so I checked up on this time last year (25th May, waning crescent moon). Seems I had a good night, observing lots of globular clusters (Ms 3, 5, 10, 12, 13 & 92, plus the Ring & Dumb bell nebulae) ... In an entry on the 21st of June, I've recorded seeing the same objects, and that the Milky Way and Cygnus Rift were very clear at around 1am. I've also noted that Andromeda was visible again!

Helps if you don't have LP adding to your woes

Using this down time to trash my patio and pour 2 1/2 tonnes of concrete, well I'm not, the landscape contractors are. It needed doing as it was prone to flood and the slabs were wonky, so as good a time as any.

Given there were few/no clouds last night I just had to get the scope out even though I knew it wouldn't get properly dark. Weather been poor for last 2 weeks and for me too I was surprised at the brightness in the sky - in addition to the half moon!

I tried Jupiter - Mush! :( the odd fleeting moment of clarity, but just too poor. Moon was in the branches of a tree, and Venus hidden by a wall ...

Blundered on and had actually some real nice views of M13 and M92 and various mags, up to 245x.

Tried the Ring - first time in my 15" ...is that a hint of a bluey green tinge??!! Probably my imagination :) Quite impressed with the view vs 10" despite sky brightness (~11pm).

Swung over to the Cats Eye neb - didn't have my O-III out, interesting neb - there's detail hinted at in the core, but probably need better conditions and the filter to help with higher mag. Very very bright + small nebula though (at least the core part!!)

So for a really poor conditions night not looking promising at the start, really enjoyed the 45min look see!!

I really thought that id do some summer observing this year between the hours of 11pm-3am, but i am too settled and comfy infront of tv and ready for bed at that time.

Sorry to say that my scope(s) wont be dragged out til end of Sept.

I do plan a lot of solar observing during the day.

11 is almost a little bit too early now... My last couple of sessions realistically started for DSOs at 11:30  - 12.  No problem for me though to go through until 3am. Once out there you kind of wake up again!  :)  Last week end of play really for DSOs was at 3:15am -    These late sessions also fit in with the family commitments as well.

Thought the same when going to bed last night – 10.45pm and still what I would call light outside!

While the stars are hiding, what about trying to complete the Lunar 100? Stumbled across it over the weekend (here on SGL in the Lunar Observing Forum).

Archived