Narrowband

The force of gravity

Hey everyone !
Quick question again :)

I know the answer to my question but still do not understand why. At first I was wondering why galaxy and planet around a star were all aligned. I learned it was because of gravity. Alright, I understand that gravity assemble stuff around the black hole and the stars... but I dont understand why its such a straight line. Why its not turning around the object from all direction ? Like a X, the middle of the X being the star or the black hole in middle of galaxys.

Thanks in advance, my brain got a hard time to figure out.

As I understand it when the stars first begin to turn around the black hole / When the planet first begin to form around the star / when the ice cube first begin to turn around saturn ... they were turning from every direction. Just like the deep field galaxy are globular galaxy ... but as time go, material get aligned ... I just dont get this process.

All those objects rotate on their rotation axis. If you take a vortex of water or a tornado, smaller and lighter things tend to rotate around in a certain way and don't just get attracted.

Not sure whether this answers your question.. 

Piero

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was all due to angular momentum rather than gravity, although gravity plays apart by preventing the planets spinning away from the very massive sun.  Could be wrong of course.

Pete

Quite right it is due to the conservation of angular momentum. In fact getting rid of excess angular momentum is a major issue in the formation of large structures.

Regards Andrew

Archived