Narrowband

Skywatcher 190 MN, or something else??

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my Newtonian scopes, as im  getting coma, and focus issues, and looking to improve my set up. I currently have a 6" and 10" Newtonian. I don't know what to really go for next, as im looking for a quality imaging scope to put my losmandy G11 on. Maybe an astrograph like the revelation range?? want something that's not to hard to collimate, good on focus, ect...ect...How do the mak Newtonians fair....anyone want to give me some advise, especially as hands on use.........much appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MN190 is a great scope though does have some issues. Takes a little time to get good collimation but once set, holds it well. I set up each night and regularly check but hardly ever adjust. The standard focuser is ok but not great. I found an upgrade was needed when I had an OAG, filter wheel and cam attached. Moonlite works well though. You will be used to the size given your newts so that won't be an issue. The thing I also really like is the lack of spikes on stars !! Please get back to me if you have any questions.

Cheers Freddie and thanks for the info. Think we have spoke before...prob due to the fact were both from kent. I will also be using my OAG so im unsure now if the standard focuser will suffice, having said that the focuser isn't to great on either of my newts. How do you find the cool down period on the maks? If I got one then, it would be permanently housed in my observatory....do you have any images taken with the mak??

Yeah....the only down side is id have to extend my pier in the observatory, due to the eyepiece/finderscope level..........but its do-able. Cant believe I let slip a revelation 8" in carbon fibre go on ebay for £500!!!! missed the auction.......

I have a 190mm and I would say it was my favourite scope, and I have a few. I only use it for visual and it is close to APO views on stars and planets, using top eyepieces it is as good at the edges as it is near the middle. You only have to look at what some skilled AP's can do with this scope, though it may well need a Moonlite putting on instead of the focuser it has. I find it holds collimation very well but I would not like to set it up from scratch, I know Per in Sweden had a lot of problems getting his spot on, and of course for AP it needs to be.

Great scope in my books.

Alan. 

Cheers Freddie and alan......much appreciated input. does the mn 190 need collimating on the secondary as well as the primary?? as the secondary is closed (never looked at one in person)..........

Also how do you change the focuser on the scope if its a sealed unit??? ie get to the screw threads inside the OTA.........

You have to take the corrector off.

These scopes come up quiet often in the used market and have already had all the tweaks done if your not happy doing them yourself.

Dave,

It's open heart surgery, there is a fantastic thread on it by a guy I think called Gunnar, I can't even recall where it is but it had Mak/Newtonian 190mm in the title. He strips one give a massive amount of info and covers every angle, i'm sure ssomeone knows where it is.

It is well worth reading this.

It's kind of like an NEQ6; properly tweaked they're hard to beat. I am about to resurrect mine and put a Baader Steeltrack Diamond on it :) Then the summer wait for astronomical darkness... :(

/per

It is most likely a weather-related incident... Anyway, the 190MN does have superb optics, that is for sure. The main mirror cell has to be modified slightly, and the focuser needs to be replaced with something better. I have a Moonlight on mine but will upgrade it as per my post above. I will sell the Moonlite.

/per

Per,

Do you know the thread set up by a chap from Sweden I think where he replaces the focuser and moves the mirror and all sorts of other things on his M/N 190mm, if you do can you put a link up for it, it's a superb piece and I have no idea where it is but it's here somewhere.

Alan.

Id like to try one out, but it would need to be ready to rock out the box and as this is not the case ill not be playing games which is a shame, Im sick of fighting with gear for it to work as it is retailed to do.

Per,

Do you know the thread set up by a chap from Sweden I think where he replaces the focuser and moves the mirror and all sorts of other things on his M/N 190mm, if you do can you put a link up for it, it's a superb piece and I have no idea where it is but it's here somewhere.

Alan.

This one?

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/141012-Skywatcher-190MN---fitting-of-a-Moonlite-focuser

That's the one.

I'd considered a 190 MN as a longer FL imaging 'scope for when I upgraded my mount, but having read through that thread and knowing how cack-handed I can be decided against any 'scope that needs fettling out of the box to do what it's supposed to.

Yes, that one. After buying a Moonlite myself I can say that although it is an improvement, it is a small one. I have ordered a Baader Diamond Steeltrack instead as it is aeons better in both tightness and stability (and it simply does not slide).

/per

That's the one.

I'd considered a 190 MN as a longer FL imaging 'scope for when I upgraded my mount, but having read through that thread and knowing how cack-handed I can be decided against any 'scope that needs fettling out of the box to do what it's supposed to.

That is a totally valid stand-point. The cool thing about the 190MN is that you get just about TEC/Tak performance for a third of the price or less. The down-side is the tweaking, but I am sure you can get someone to do it for you at a reasonable cost. The focuser wil lhave to be changed as well, adding to the cost. The primary mirror cell is only an issue if you use a mount with modeling, such as a 10Micron, ASA or similar.

The optics are really, really good, and the field is truly flat. The corrector plate is made by Schott... Primary is spherical, which means it can be a little work finding a replacement (I may need a replacement because I dropped my secondary right on it :confused: ). Even with my scarred primary (scars covered with black paint) the results are stunning. I will, however, probably paint the tube white in order to reduce radiated heat, and hence dew.

Great scope!

/per

I'm not worried about collimation,(I know it wasn't mentioned it just come under fettling) it's just something you have to do with reflectors of any kind, and I'd probably swap focusers, though maybe for one of these

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-instruments-feather-touch-2inch-crayford-focusers/feathertouch-crayford-focuser-for-newtonian-telescopes.htmlwhich looks like it would mount on the existing plate.

It's all the other tweeking that would put me off. Having said which it could be very attractive as a longer fast astrograph that wouldn't break the bank.

Archived