Narrowband

Is it worth it

nightfisher

Sort of half tempted to get a Mallinson micro cam to use with my 150 pro maksutov..................would this be worth doing or would it be limited to just Lunar and planets

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Nightfisher,

I have the Mallincam Micro and no it is not limited to Lunar and planets in fact I only ever use my SCB-2000 for planets as it seems to work best for planets.   I use the Micro as a finder cam on my ED80 and here is a video of the camera (top right) in action along with my Xtreme.  Now that said I may be looking to sell this soon along with some other bits to fund more bits etc. (usual story) so if you're interested send me a PM and I'll get some info for you.

Best regards

Karl

Jules, there is a new Mallincam Micro released that is slightly more sensitive than the Micro-Ex. It is called the Micro-Super.

They both do DSO's. I see regular broadcasts from people using the Mallincam Micro's on Night Skies Network and I am still amazed at what a good job a cheap basic model can do on DSO's.

Both models are listed and priced on the Mallincam site on the Micro page: http://www.mallincam.net/micro-series.html

Jules, there is a new Mallincam Micro released that is slightly more sensitive than the Micro-Ex. It is called the Micro-Super.

They both do DSO's. I see regular broadcasts from people using the Mallincam Micro's on Night Skies Network and I am still amazed at what a good job a cheap basic model can do on DSO's.

Both models are listed and priced on the Mallincam site on the Micro page: http://www.mallincam.net/micro-series.html

This loks surprisingly similar to the PD1 video camera I use http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/ I am guessing they are same manufactureer with differing badges stuck on them and maybe slightly differing chips.

This loks surprisingly similar to the PD1 video camera I use http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/ I am guessing they are same manufactureer with differing badges stuck on them and maybe slightly differing chips.

No. It's a long story that has been told many times and I am not about to type it all out again  :laugh:

But be safe in knowing that they are NOT the same camera. It is not a re-badged version. 

They don't even look alike.

Your PD camera:

post-32182-0-51427900-1432744738.jpg

The Mallincam Micro:

post-32182-0-57633200-1432744772.jpg

The phil dyer camera I s a huviron made in korea or there abouts they have three to this configuration..one with a bkack stripe and another with blue this one has the longer intregration..

Hi nightfisher.

There are a few variations for video astronomy.knowing what kit you all ready have and what you hope to capture is a big help on the type of advice to give you.

Different types

cctv camera adapted for astronomy .. a fast scope.. small aperture for widefield,,, c to 1.25 adapter to fit camera to scope. Bnc to rca adapter .. rca cable.. tv set. If you wished to record what you see the best option is a usb video grabber that changes an analogue video signal to a digital.. the kit is moulded to what you require to view different camera specs will give different options on images captured..ie..planetry to deep sky.

post up your kit and we can all chip in advice..davy

Then a camera..middle of the road I would say the phil dyer or mallincam micro and cables as my last post..easycap usb video grabber.go original not an ebay copy.. a clean dc supply to run the camera.

Jules, be aware that Mak's will give an extremely tight Field of View, even with a Focal reducer.

Some people double up the focal reduction to get a Mak down to about f/3.

Your scope is f/12 - 1800 focal length. That is very slow! You need to speed up the optics. But if you are happy to have a small FOV then hope your scope tracks really well. The slower the optics the more errors show up (star trails, periodic error, wind, etc). It will also require longer integrations.

Just a few things to think about when using a slow telescope  :smiley:

Jules, be aware that Mak's will give an extremely tight Field of View, even with a Focal reducer.

Some people double up the focal reduction to get a Mak down to about f/3.

Your scope is f/12 - 1800 focal length. That is very slow! You need to speed up the optics. But if you are happy to have a small FOV then hope your scope tracks really well. The slower the optics the more errors show up (star trails, periodic error, wind, etc). It will also require longer integrations.

Just a few things to think about when using a slow telescope  :smiley:

Cheers for the honest reply, i think i will put this idea on hold as i dont see it working for me

Hello Jules,

Don't be put off it really is not that complicated and yeah your telescope is not the perfect scope for VA but it will still work!  If you want I have a spare camera sitting around that you can have for free just to experiment with.  It's basically the exact same spec as the SCB-2000 and the only difference is the look, body and name just like me and Brad :)  I'll put a cable in with it also so all you will need is a nose piece adapter.  All you really need to do to experiment is connect the BNC cable to an old tv or monitor and you are away.  It's that simple and below is the sort of image you will get from it.

post-28683-0-14000000-1432889980_thumb.j

Anyway, it's a shame to see you put off so if you want it send me a PM with your address and it's yours :)

Good luck

Karl

Cheers for the honest reply, i think i will put this idea on hold as i dont see it working for me

Jules, don't put it on hold.

Play around with it and have fun.

Who knows, you might even like extreme close-up views from a tight FOV. Some other people do. Not everyone does wide FOV work.

And you will learn heaps about using the camera while you save for a faster scope if you want to get one.

Just don't give up on the idea  :smiley:

Or you could just watch Spacedout  (and others) brilliant  live broadcasts  :evil:

Thanks Stash nice of you to say :)  Of course that's always the best way to learn by watching live broadcasts on my site or NSN and asking questions live.  If the broadcaster does not know there is always a viewer who will have the answers. 

Hello Jules,

Don't be put off it really is not that complicated and yeah your telescope is not the perfect scope for VA but it will still work!  If you want I have a spare camera sitting around that you can have for free just to experiment with.  It's basically the exact same spec as the SCB-2000 and the only difference is the look, body and name just like me and Brad :)  I'll put a cable in with it also so all you will need is a nose piece adapter.  All you really need to do to experiment is connect the BNC cable to an old tv or monitor and you are away.  It's that simple and below is the sort of image you will get from it.

attachicon.gifSammy M42.jpg

Anyway, it's a shame to see you put off so if you want it send me a PM with your address and it's yours :)

Good luck

Karl

Just a thought, would this camera work plugged into a travel DVD player as a screen?

I am going to use the laptop, i have a high spec one that does not get a lot of use, it seems i can use ezcap to plumb the camera into the laptop and either view or record?

Also i know i should be using a faster scope, so i may forget the mak 150 and use my TAL100rs with 0.63 focal reducer?

Archived