Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 and NGC 6207

John

I've got my ED120 refractor out this evening waiting for Saturn to clear the rooftops. Although it's a clear night the seeing is not all that steady so tight doubles such as Delta Cygni are proving a little less well defined than the refractor is capable of showing.

While browsing around Hercules I had a look at M13, as you do, and then decided to have a go at getting the galaxy that lies (in line of sight terms) within 1 degree of the great globular cluster, NGC 6207. The ED120 is a great scope for planetary and binary star observing but 4.7 inches aperture is not a lot for galaxies under my skies. Despite this I just about managed to pick up the small, faint eliptical glow of this little galaxy although it was easier to spot at 82x than it was at 28x. At 45x I could just about squeeze M13 and NGC 6207 into the field of view of the 20mm TV plossl eyepiece. 

I've seen various brightness figures for NGC 6207 from magnitude 11.5 to magnitude 12.1 and distance measurements of between 30 and 45 million light years. In brightness terms my feeling was that it was closer to mag 12 and close to the limit for the ED120 under the skies that prevail tonight.

Interesting excursion although a much more rewarding sight with my 12" dob of course.

I'll pop out again now and see if the ringed planet is showing itself nicely :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your report, John.

It is interesting to push small/medium aperture telescopes to their limits.

I enjoy spotting bright compact dso (which can be very faint on my scope). Aside from the challenge of finding them and the willingness to improve observing skills, aperture clearly makes these targets accessible and appreciable I think. I bet NGC 6207 is a nice target with your 12"!  :rolleyes:

What is the apparent magnitude limit with your naked eye in your location?

.....What is the apparent magnitude limit with your naked eye in your location?

I don't know for certain Piero but I'm sure it varies quite a lot !.

On a good night I can see M31, the Andromeda Galaxy with my naked eye and the Milky Way across about half of the Summer sky.

I've downloaded some magnitude limit testing charts so I'll test my seeing out and report back :smiley:

Nice report John, Can't remember the last time I had a clear night here, still waiting to try out my Heritage-90 Mak.

Avtar

You and me both, Avtar :)

Clear nights will come - hopefully...

I'd settle for just a clear Moon to try the 90 on.

On a good night I can see M31, the Andromeda Galaxy with my naked eye and the Milky Way across about half of the Summer sky.

I've downloaded some magnitude limit testing charts so I'll test my seeing out and report back :smiley:

That's a good sky!  :smiley:

From the field where I usually observe I can see the full Ursa Minor, but cannot yet say whether M31 and the Milky Way are visible. I believe the sky can be as dark as yours in the nearby countryside. :smiley:

That's a good sky!  :smiley:

From the field where I usually observe I can see the full Ursa Minor, but cannot yet say whether M31 and the Milky Way are visible. I believe the sky can be as dark as yours in the nearby countryside. :smiley:

Mine is not like that every night by any means - just the good ones :rolleyes2:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived