Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing chair

Iam looking to purchase a astronomy observing chair in the near future. It seemes that the skywatcher chair is the most common one on the British market . They do seem expensive for what they are, but if it really helps prolonged viewing at the eyepiece it's money well spent . Can anybody recommend this chair ,,or any outher ,,,,..?. Cheers Mark

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent topic, my back is in piece's at the scope!

I have a RACI finder on order which will help considerably, but haven't got an observing chair/stool.

I saw on another topic about drummer stools being highly regarded, but this is the first I heard about an "observing chair " looks like another price comparison hunt.

There are several types available and they make one heck of a difference when it comes to preventing back ache. Personally I use the ironing chair as mentioned above, it is a little ropey but it does the job and it is very portable. When it finally gives up the ghost I will buy something better.

I have mentioned this before, if you get an ironing chair you will end up with jobs that you don't want. It sends out the wrong message, you have been warned ![/quotep]

:D

One: always describe it as an observing chair

Two: keep it in the shed

Should keep it under the radar.

ps I do all the ironing in our marriage. But standing up....have I missed the point somewhere? ;)

I have the Mey chair - I bought it from an online musical instrument store in Germany (it is actually a drumming stool) but you can buy them for around the same price from FLO. This chair costs about the same as a good quality stainless steel tripod. If your telescope deserves a good seat, so do you!

This chair transformed my viewing experience. Fully adjustable, very stable and it allows about 45° lateral movement which really helps when using a dual scope set-up.

Don't compromise on comfort - it allows you to take a very real annoyance out of the activity and concentrate on what's up in the sky without an aching back :wink:

Thank's for all the suggestions and idea's on the observing chair subject. Love the jokes about the ironing chair,,ha ha. Cheers damnut for the link to the variable height chair, I see your point about the word astro , bumping up the price ,but I guess unless you have exactly the same chair as the skywatcher, which has easy tilt and lift adjustment, the ironing chair would be more fiddley to adjust in the dark. Am I right in assuming this??? Cheers,,,. Mark

I have mentioned this before, if you get an ironing chair you will end up with jobs that you don't want. It sends out the wrong message, you have been warned !

Too late for me Garry, besides I stand to do the ironing :grin:

I'm not that weighty nor podgy - over 6' tall and probably weigh around 12 stone - but after a year or so of observing the ironing chair's seat just fell apart. It was always quite a small number and after it crumbled away, I screwed in a slab of more solid wood. On hindsight that is something I wished I had done as soon I received the chair. The board covers a bigger area, the seating is more comfortable, more secure and more enduring.

A recent photo of the chair is attached:

post-21324-0-78222900-1431601049_thumb.j

Archived