SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Flip down side where wheel guilders run

Bubbles82

I'm working on some of the workings of my roll off roof and need one of the sides that the roof rolls on fold down. Making the side flap down is pretty straight forward but I have two ideas for the wheel guide. The first thought is to attach the guide to the flap down side and then obviously the roof would be rolled back before the side is put down, or do I put a removable bar in that is removed when the roof is rolled back. My thought is the removable bar will have to be very accurate and resistant to movement from the exact place between being removed and replaced, but then the fixed to the side idea may put a lot of strain on the hinges used for the flap resulting in them bowing over time and again the roof not sitting on them properly. Has anyone done this with any success or have any other suggestions .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did think that my two hold backs are the fold down section will need to be about half the height of the observatory and I sold this to the missus by telling her the frame section that the roof rolls onto would make a excellent pergola/seating area,[emoji16]if I was to roll the side with the roof would I then have the side that rolls away with the roofs rail at about waist height ruining HER promised pergola ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps she could have a very low pergola? :D

If the side absolutely had to fold down I think I'd hold it closed with a few hefty bolts so they'd take the load of the roof rather than the hinges.

James

Perhaps she could have a very low pergola? :D

If the side absolutely had to fold down I think I'd hold it closed with a few hefty bolts so they'd take the load of the roof rather than the hinges.

James

That's a good idea, will certainly be using heavy duty t type gate hinge. And sliding bolt type locks.

This sort of thing might take the load fairly well: http://www.screwfix.com/p/gate-hinges-cranked-hook-band-pack-spelter-galvanised-50-x-457-x-165mm/34638

If you made all the mounting points a good solid part of the frame structure and bolted the pin plate all the way through I'd have thought you'd have something fairly rigid then.

James

Thanks for the link. They look really sturdy, I'm planning on putting a second frame inside the shed one. I've already brought 20 2.4 m lengths of 3x2. And the wheels which I posted on my build thread. I will do a few hand drawings this week and post them up but will apologise in advance for my poor technical drawing skills [emoji1]

Hi, if you need a better pivot than a dry hinge, have you considered adapting caster wheels? You could fix your flap to bolts that go through a wheel diameter. The caster wheel support would be fixed to your inner frame. You could have maybe 4 or 6 of these inside in a line that would give a very freely rotating flap, evenly supported.

This is a real quick sketch after a 12 hour shift but I will do my best to explain my drawing. This is from the inside of the observatory, my idea is to have a T shaped support that's removable its rested on the main frame I will put inside the observatory and the centre support will rest on the floor providing support on the Middle . The gate slide type bolts will provide support from the sides spreading. In theory the roof will sit nicely on this as if permanent fixed then removed when the roof has been rolled back. Any suggestions on how this would not work are welcome.

I think it would work, especially if the bottom of the T post was also locked into place when the roof was closed, but I'm not entirely convinced of its practicality.  What will you do with the T section when you remove it?  It's not going to be the most manageable thing in the world and I'd not be too keen to be waving it about near expensive kit.

James

Totally agree it won't be the easiest thing to juggle about. The bottom could be locked in with another gate bolt? Or I could bring the centre support rest up level with the bottom of the flap by building a lower frame. Again sorry for the bad drawing[emoji15] I was planning on just laying the T section on the grass to be honest, and my observatory will only house the mount and hard wired comms wires and power.

Archived