Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where has the sun gone ?

Pig

I don't know about you guys but I am a little lost without being able to view the sun. I know my 2 week lasting eye infection didn't help matters but even so it seems like ages since I have seen the sun through the scope.

I was in North Italy last week in a little town named Arco ( work not a holiday), and I was thinking what a wonderful place to have a scope. The area is blessed with excellent mountain views on 3 sides so even if it isn't sunny there are still some fantastic sights to see.

Even when it was raining the thunder and lightning were spectacular and I simply sat and watched some great forks and incredible crashes of thunder from the safety of the balcony.

There was only one clear night whilst I was there but the stars were fantastic too, although the mountains are so dominating and close by they did get in the way. I also wondered  what it would be like driving up them to a nice vantage point and get some fine observing in.

Having said all that the isolation resulting from being in a different country does slightly taint proceedings and although England does not have the best of climates for observing it is blessed with some lovely countryside and some great wildlife.

I think I may side track a little from astronomy and introduce some nature observing into this hobby, this may help combat these barren times.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun ??

What's that?

You're not one of these strange people that have the radical and obviously false idea that beyond the great grey cover there is a bright ball of something are you ?

I do believe it is up there somewhere because I have seen it, albeit quite some time ago :laugh: maybe I was dreaming.

Yes, like you, I blame the pesky Quark owners :grin:  I have had mine some time now so I am in no way responsible for the latest sun drought !!

Just one cloud here all day long, Shaun :laugh:

2,000 miles long :eek:

I can't complain too much as I did get a very lucky 30 minutes that appeared out of nowhere yesterday. Since Feb the weekends have been poor here, almost every forecast just has clouds all the way through.

LoL you had me for a second there Luke.... I was thinking how lucky are you then I saw the addition of the 2,000 mile cloud :laugh:

It has been a very poor extended spell for both light and dark, it just makes one wonder how long it can actually last :shocked:

Today has been especially ridiculous, not even a glint of a gap all day, and it's still the same now! I totally blame the Quark owners :( Nothing to do with my Lunt 35, Skyllight, C100ED + EP purchases of recent weeks ;)  :grin:

So true Shaun, these clouds are dangerous, someone should stop them!

Somethings wrong?I don't seem to mind if I'm wearing tattered clothes, or eating smart price food, as long as I've got plenty of astro goodies  :lol:

I love it all. The great outdoors, the weather, nature all of it!

Astronomy is just a main focus when the opportunity allows. I don't have so much expensive kit that I feel I need to be using it so don't beat myself up about missing a good night.

Actually I lied about the weather. I like most of it except the wind. It seems that we've had a cold westerly howling off the Irish Sea all year. It's got that I've not been taking the dog up to the beach very much recently. It just chills me to the bone in no time :(

No sign of a reprieve. June is set to start very unsettled.  

In light of 2000 mile clouds :grin:, weeks of no Sun, howling gales and overcast evenings, I think it best I just whisper this one and get outta here. So far in May: 18 clear, t-shirt and shorts, tip-top stargazing nights. 21 scoorchio sun-shining days :icon_razz:

Rob,

Are you saying you have had 39 observing opportunities so far this month ?  A meagre 75% after 26 days :grin:  :eek: All in a pair of shorts and a T-Shirt.

Do you remember how Frankenstein was hunted down by the villagers ?

I am trying to remember if I have had 39 opportunities in the last 4 months :laugh:

Paul,

It is very true nature is wonderful, I just wish mother nature would sprinkle a little bit more observing weather our way.

Cold winds are a pain especially when they are accompanied by "Forrest Gump" sideways rain :smiley:  When I used to cycle the wind was probably the only weather that made it intolerable and ever put me off going out.

SUN here today between the clouds and seeing was pretty good early on, just been dragged round ASDAs so now going out to see if it's changed, if this keeps up I might even get some imaging done  :eek:

:eek: Dave

Some sunshine here too Shaun, scopes are out for a lunchtime observe and hope to get more this evening. Seeing is a bit wobbly now but it should improve later.

Going to go big frac little frac tonight on Saturn. Vixen 150 takes on Tak 60. Can I see the Cassini division in the 60?? That's the big question ;-)

That's what they said t'other night but it didn't happen, just been using the Quark on the WO 110FLT  for the first time, nice views of proms so as the Sun appears to be staying out I'm having a play with the Quark tuning, also for the first time.

Seeing is not as good as it was earlier but hey ho, some Sun is better than no Sun.

Dave

Archived