Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for planetary use other than Orthos and Plossls

I have many eyepieces that I enjoy with various telescopes from a Zeiss Telementor, an 80 F7 apo, 5" APO 6" F15 classical refractor and Newtonian reflectors 12" F6 & 7" F11

I use Orthos from Zeiss, Baader and UO plus a favourite Clave Plossls from 3mm to 75mm. The odd Tak and Pentax ortho as well.

There are types that I have not explored like TV Delos and Radian. I an interested in Delos vs Radian as part of that exploration in the shorter focal lengths 10mm and below.

I am interested to learn the experiences from others.

Thanks

Simon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not tried a Radian, but the Delos range are excellent. They have very high transmission, good control of light scatter, sharp and contrasty with very pure colour rendition. They are also very comfortable to use having long eyerelief. I use Pentax XW myself for the same features but a better (for me) range of focal lengths. If you have used an XW, the Delos are almost indistinguishable in optical terms.

My shorter focal length eyepieces are 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's and 4mm and 3mm Radians. I've compared them extensively to a variety of orthoscopics and find the quality of planetary and lunar views very similar in quality, with the bonus of the wide field of view and more comfortable eye relief. I've owned just one Delos so far and found it very similar indeed to the Pentax XW.

The only time that I've found an orthoscopic brings slight benefits are situations where I want absolutely minimal light scatter such as to split Sirius or to pick out a faint planetary moon when it's close to the glare from the host planet.

Another eyepiece worthy of mention is the Vixen SLV. I found the 6mm SLV to produce views of Jupiter that were just as contrasty, sharp and with light scatter control as the 6mm Baader Genuine Ortho that I compared it with over quite a few sessions.

My scopes comprise ED refractors and a 12" F/5.3 dobsonian.

Let me first start by saying I really like both.

Delos are fairly new to the market and come with 8 in the range from 3.5mm -17.3mm. all have 20mm of eyerelief are very easy to get to like. They have a wonderful adjustable eye-guard system much better than that on the Radian though that is by no means bad. S/H they cost about 180-90. I have the full range, the longest two are not parfocal with the rest.

Radians again had a range from 3mm (the only one now made) up to 18mm, there were 9 in the range, some of which I have never seen, I still own the shortest 3 but have had 2 of the others. For me with the over talked colour caste and 20 mm of ER are the best 100 quids worth on the S/H market.

The others to strongly bear in mind are the XW range from Pentax, John's piece really say's it all as to what they are like in use.

Alan

I have had Vixen LVs (9 and 7mm), which were superseded by Radians (10 and 8mm), which in turn were replaced by Pentax XW (10 and 7mm) and XF (8.5). The latter was replaced by a Delos 8mm. In all cases I compared EPs and found that the replacement had the edge over the older ones. Transmission in particular was better when moving from Radian to XW/XF. The Delos is superb too, very similar to the XWs in everything except position of focus. I now also have a Vixen SLV 5mm and it is up there with the XWs in all but FOV

I haven't used the Delos though ive heard really good reports about them and i dislike the Radians, but the Pentax XW's I find to be exceptional planetary eyepieces. I use the 10mm, 7mm, 5mm and 3.5mm XW's and nothing I've compared them to, as yet, has given the same level of comfort, clarity and sharpness to the edge of the field.

Mike

When I read the thread title I was jumping at the change to recommend the Vixen SLV range, so I'm glad to see others have mentioned them :)

I literally can't find fault with them, worth a look at 109 new or 75 pounds second hand. 

When I read the thread title I was jumping at the change to recommend the Vixen SLV range, so I'm glad to see others have mentioned them :)

I literally can't find fault with them, worth a look at 109 new or 75 pounds second hand. 

Thanks Chris, have you directly compared them to the Delos and Radian EPs? I am interested in the short focal lengths from about 8mm down to 3/3.5mm

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simon, I did briefly own a Radian way before the SLV's hit the scene so I haven't done a direct comparison I'm affraid. All I can say is I didn't get on with the Radian, it was a while ago now but the issue was either blackouts or ghosting when viewing bright objects. I can't remember which out the two but it was enough for me to move it on pretty quick.

The build quality of both are on par from memory, but I really like the smooth side of the SLV's :)

Having reviewed it, I was very tempted to buy the 6mm Vixen SLV myself from FLO but someone beat me to it !. I can recall my reaction the very 1st time I looked through that eyepiece - almost disbelief at how sharp and contrasty Jupiter looked and yet I had really comfortable eye relief and a generously sized eye lens to gaze into :smiley:

Very well put John :) I had the same feelings about the previous NLV's but really didn't like the plastic twist up cup which was either up or down and didn't feel like it would last. The SLV's have nailed this issue I feel :)

• 2 weeks later...

All I have for higher poweed viewing are the Vixen range of eyepieces, I do find them very nice to look through too. As a glasses wearer the extra ER on these is essential so to me they are a great buy.

You get great glass for under £150, hard to beat these days.

I have just two wide field eyepieces, the 12mm Delos with 72 degrees and the Vixen LVW 8mm with 65 degrees. Both have 20mm of eye relief and a large eye lens, and both are stunning and extremely comfortable to use.

The Vixen, in mint condition, was obtained on AB&S @ 45% of the new price, something that does not happen with Televue.

Top quality glass need not break the bank. :smiley:  

I have recently been using the XW10 and XW7 for solar quite a bit, and boy, are they comfortable. I used them at an outreach event, and it is always striking how easily people find the right spot. The SLV 5 is just as comfy. The Vixen Ortho 25mm I use in my biggest H-alpha rig (75mm F/25.6 with Solar Spectrum H-alpha filter) was a different story altogether. Eye relief is fine, but you really need to nail the eye position

Having reviewed it, I was very tempted to buy the 6mm Vixen SLV myself from FLO but someone beat me to it !. I can recall my reaction the very 1st time I looked through that eyepiece - almost disbelief at how sharp and contrasty Jupiter looked and yet I had really comfortable eye relief and a generously sized eye lens to gaze into :smiley:

Sorry John, it was me. For those nights when the 5mm SLV is a bit too much. And very nice it is too ;) but I missed out on the 15mm when Chris was selling his bins.

I've managed to find all but the 4mm (which might be a bit short for my needs) for around the £85 mark, so the SLVs can be had for a good price and they perform wonderfully, certainly as well as my Fujiyama orthos.

I have some SW Nirvana and ES82 eyepieces which perform well, but often find myself sacrificing the FOV for a lightweight EP, not that the aforementioned are heavy... except the 28mm Nirvana.

Anyway, the SLVs have been working hard on Jupiter and the Moon recently, and given nicely controlled Venusian phases too. Worth trying IMO.

It's strange but I always end up with an ortho in the PST for over the equivalent SLV. I find it more comfortable. I'm not a glasses wearer, so perhaps that makes a difference.

James

John,

I noticed just looking at your link to the 4mm that it only has a 45 degree FOV, I thought the SLV range was 52 degrees, did I mis-read you review?

Alan

I think Tring Astro have got it wrong Alan. The earlier Vixen LV and NLV versions did provide 45 degrees but that was increased by 5 degrees in the SLV's. The 6, 12.5 and 20mm SLV's that I was sent for review certainly seemed to match the Tele Vue plossls in this respect.

Archived