SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

25x70 or 20x80?

I have these two binoculars to choose from and I'd like to know which pair, if any, would be more suitable for looking at the skies on a tripod?

Their prices are very similar.

Thanks

I find 15x70s are great - but they won't give you any planetary detail - Jupiter looks just like a large bright star, though the 4 moons are clearly visible. My question to those with more experience than me is: what's the difference in quality between a 'decent' pair of binos like my Helios stellar and a better pair - like the 15x70 Apollo? Maybe a top class pair of 15x70s would be better for redleader than a good pair of 20x80s?

As Michael has stated the Apollo 15x70 are an excellent choice for Astronomy. Unfortunately they appear to be out of stock everywhere.

If you want to buy 25x70 or 20x80 I would go with the 20x80. Although for the money these would be excellent - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/clearance_helios-apollo-high-resolution_12960.html

I have a set of 20x90 bins. While i love the large aperture, i'd like a bit more magnification. Would i give up aperture for more magnification?.......i probably would. So i'd go for the 25x70. Maybe i'm talking through my hat,in which case ignore my comments. 20x80 would be a great choice also. Both would need a tripod for observing.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I have an 80 inch tripod and I'm looking to decommission my existing pair of 12x60 binoculars which I bought second hand on ebay 12 years ago for 99p plus postage!

I am considering;

1. Celestron Skymaster 25x70 @ £70

2. Celestron Skymaster 20x80 @ £99

3. Maybe the Celestron Skymaster 25x100 @ £259

I like the Helios Apollo 22x85 @ £315 mentioned above (note these are second hand) but didn't want to spend that much, having said that I'd rather spend more on a quality pair than buy a cheap pair that ends up a waste of money.

I'm leaning toward the Skymaster 20x80, would I be correct in saying these are of reasonable quality?

Thanks again,

Andrew

I have Helios Apollo HD 15x70s and they are great. A huge leap over the Celestron Skymaster and Omegon 15x70s I had before. I do not know the Stellar, but in the Helios Apollo Jupiter is a clearly resolved disk. Polar flattening is visible, but no cloud belts

Very interesting Michael that same size binos from same brand have such difference in quality, and I think the Stellars are pretty good. Maybe London light pollution is also to blame.

Another vote for the 15x70. Superb and i use mine all the time.  Be advised if you go to 25x version then you'll definitely need a tripod or some means of holding the bins other than in your hands. It will be impossible to hold the object still at that magnification whilst hand holding the bins.

I'd much rather spend £259 or thereabouts on a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70's than Celestron Skymaster 25x100's.I have both binos in 15x70 models,and whilst I feel I was lucky in getting what I consider to be a 'good pair' of Skymasters-there is really no comparison between the two.Are the Apollos worth around five times more? Well,I shall certainly be keeping them,and they won't be replaced,unless I win the lottery!  Buy cheap.buy twice. as the saying goes-especially when it comes to glass.

Archived