SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn in 28" by iphone

quaoar

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you hold the phone to the eyepiece, or have you a cradle for it?

Be interested to see how the phone was attached to the focuser of your telescope.

Could you post a pic of the arrangement please?   I might just  try that myself.

It's a very remarkable result to say the least.

Ron.

Edit]

I have just had a look, and there is Bulb mode on the iphones,

and very low light capability too, so the future  looks good for phone cam Astrophotography.

I made an iphone adapter for the iphone 6 using a pvc plumbing joiner, plastic screws and an older model orion iphone adapter. It's a bit agricultural but it does the job. I center the image and expand to full extent and touch the bright part of the image which causes the exposure to adjust the brightness. Then take lots of pictures all over the shop and hope one turns out all right. :tongue:

post-18787-0-71158100-1432467458_thumb.j

post-18787-0-37273000-1432467658_thumb.j

A totally stunning shot in every way and with what you have used, do you think the scope could have played a tiny part in all this. There are going to be a good few wanting larger scopes after this, I mean even mine at 18 inches is a mear finder. I imagine the plant is much better placed for you than members in the UK, it's not too bad for me as I am a few degrees better off.

Very well done, it a prize winner I am sure.

alan.

Thanks chaps. It was a night of very good seeing. The superb 28" f4.2 Kennedy mirror, Webster built scope and TV eyepieces helped too. The trick is to get the image big enough on screen so that the auto exposure control feature starts to work, then take lots of pictures and eventually you get a good one. I did the same last year with this Plato.

post-18787-0-29077700-1432522021_thumb.j

I have to confess to having some doubt about the authenticity of your Saturn Picture.

However, I now retract that, and say well done. The Plato too superb.

Admire your will to succeed Quaoar, and your iphone support system might seem Heath Robinson, but it sure worked for you.

Simple but ingenious. and great results. Perhaps you've inspired a  new future for iphones in Afocal  Astrophotography  :smiley:.

Ron.

Your You Tube video of Saturn not only worked, it worked superbly well.

Quite astonishing, and I'm very envious of the Telescope you have, which no doubt is the major factor in acquiring such fine results.

I'm not sure Our UK skies would permit such clarity, even for a 20 second video. We get very occasional steady seeing, but I stress rarely.

I think you may impressed a good many of SGL members with these remarkable images, and I sincerely hope you continue to post 

any further work you produce with that big eyed photon grabber you own.

Thanks for some very pleasant sights.

It would be nice if we could address you by your Christian Name, but of course that is entirely up to you, there is no 

rule in place about that at all.

Best Wishes .

Ron.

As an afterthought, since you video  Imaged Saturn so well.,  a big challenge might be to capture the ISS as it passes over you.

It flies in a straight line as you know, but still may be difficult to keep in the FOV  at high magnification.

The instrument is very large, so I understand if tracking would prove too difficult.

Just a thought. Besides, you probably don't do requests :grin:  :grin:.

Beautiful images, congrats! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for posting images of your setup. I was hoping to try some lunar with my 16 inch dob, but it hasn't happened yet. I tried planets a few times but seeing wasn't really up to it, at least I could see it tracks well enough. My dob hasn't been out much this season, alas, due to illness and poor weather. Hopefully next season. I will try remembering this thread when I need a little motivation! :cool:

Archived