Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror cell for 20 inch

dark star

I will hopefully start grinding my 20 inch mirror blank this weekend, this has been delayed by the need to make a very heavy duty grinding table and the fact that I am still finishing my 14 inch truss dobsonian (nearly there at last!).

I therefore need to start thinking about the mirror cell. I was planning on making the triangles in the cell from 1/4 inch thick aluminium (will this be strong enough?).

However, I have just seen on line the 30 inch TROK truss dobsonian. Here the triangles for the cell were made of 3/4 inch thick birch ply. I have lots of this, and it would save me quite a bit of money buying 1/4 inch thick alumium, which is not cheap. Also, I would not need to buy a metal cutting bandsaw now (although I will almost certainly end up buying one in the long run anyway).

On the TROK site they stated that they used the cell for a few years without problems. Is there any way in which aluminium is superior to birch plywood for this application?

David

The only real advantage for using aluminium is the weight really, you can use most anything so long as it is strong enough to 

support the job at hand.

Rick M

Good to see someone else taking up the challenge of making a mirror and I will watch with interest.  I wish you luck and take a look at my thread for an idea on the grinding table. I can recommend the flag route I ended up with if doing it by hand.

A cell made from birch would be at least different and wood doesn't suffer much from thermal distortion at least if treated for the outdoor environment.  1/4" (6mm) thick ally for the triangles is what I used last time and no problems 

Damian

Archived