Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leaving a Lodestar powered via USB - Is it OK?

swag72

I have recently changed my PC system in my obs and now have a very snazzy NUC that is totally controlled from the sofa!! I can put the NUC into hibernation and wake it up from my main PC, but I have found that even in hibernation it is leaving the USB ports powered. The result is that the power light on my Lodestar is on all of the time.

Is this going to be harmful to the Lodestar or is it just like a standby light on the TV for example? Does anyone else leave their stuff with power going to it?

The option is there, but sadly I don't have the screen resolution in the obs to be able to access the bios.

So anyone? Does it hurt the camera to stay powered up but not doing anything?

You can just turn off the USB power feature so its only live when the PC is fired up well i can on my BIOS, i suppose the heat environment the CCD is in  will have a lot to do with leaving it on, in a Obby with the sun beaming down it could get quite hot and this will transfer to the CCD....??

Really? I tried it and couldn't.

Surely Teamviewer needs an internet connection and there'll be no internet connection at the point of the bios menu as the PC won't have started up?

I'd just ask SX.

Anyway, hang on, you have all this imaging kit and you didn't have to sell your sofa? Luxury or what?

We've been standing up here, night and day, since I got into this imaging lark...

:eek: lly

I think I've resolved this - The Lodestar was getting it's power from the mains powered USB hub even though the PC was hibernated. I'm such a numpty!!

No sofa's were sold in the amassing of this imaging kit Olly and I can vouch for this one getting a very large bum shaped imprint in the seat :D

• 5 months later...

Really? I tried it and couldn't.

Surely Teamviewer needs an internet connection and there'll be no internet connection at the point of the bios menu as the PC won't have started up?

Yep, I don't know of access to the BIOS through Windows.  But I've come in here because you don't need an internet connection to use Teamviewer, just a wireless router to act as the link between the two computers.  I did this when at Kielder a few weeks ago, previous attempts to set up a direct network between my two computers failed, but with a router it worked fine with my imaging laptop and little netbook (originally purchased as an 'overseas' computer).

Cheers,

Peter.

Just to add to the above, I should have made it clear that I'm talking about local use within the range of the router signal.  At Kielder (staying in a Calvert Trust cabin) it meant I could keep a check on imaging progress from the comfort of the cabin  :evil: 

Peter.

Archived