SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

expanding eyepiece collection

urchin

Hi all.

I see flo now sell Explorer Scientific eyepieces.

What's the difference between the standard es 82 24mm and the maxvision version. The numbers look the same although the shape is different. Might be an odd question but still new to this. 

One of these could suit my 250px come upgrade time.

Thanks in advance.

The more expensive non-maxvision ones are described as having "enhanced multi-layer optical coatings" and are purged with argon, use low dispersion glass and are sealed to make them more resistant to dew. In practice I'm not sure if these extra add much for someone like me with dodgy eye sight, but for the really keen-eyed it may make the viewing experience more pleasurable. Like many things in life, there are usually a range of versions for different budgets though essentially the "thing" does pretty much the same job whether you go for the budget version, the upper-mainstream version, or the "professional" version. It would be interesting to know if people have done a side by side comparison of these two.

James

Thanks James

Had posted this same question else where on the forum a couple of days ago with no response. Clearly in the wrong place. Still learning on all fronts.

Yes I agree would interested to see if the extra tweaks make a difference. Although I still enjoy the views through the stock eps.

Maybe people just don't know the answer - i only looked at the FLO website to compare :)

Ideally try and get to a "star party" and try other peoples eye pieces in your scope and see what you like. It can be difficult (for some impossible) to know by looking at the specifications which you'll get on with and which you won't. I guess if you do some research about exit pupil, eye relief, and match up apparent field of view with your scope and stuff you could get a better idea, but nothing like having a look yourself.

So, join your local astronomy society and get swapping eye pieces :)

James

I had the Meade 24mm UWA a lovely beast of an eyepiece that would have you hopping to the hospital if you dropped on your foot. There is a review of it and the 26mm Panoptic in Member Equipment. Now this was made in the same factory as all ExSc ranges, so has the same elements but maybe not the same coatings. However I have never seen any clear eveidence that one is better than the other. I had a feeling my old 4.7mm Meade was better than the new ExSc 4.7mm, but didn't have them together, so not reliable.

Maxvision are the result of a cancelled Meade order that JOC the maker were left with, so they rebadged them. So far they appear to be to the same standards as the Meade ranges in every way though I have no firsthand proof of this.

Alan

I had my first look through a 100 degree eyepiece a month or so back and this is one of the biggest differences I have noticed with the view by any eyepiece. Another important and striking difference with eyepieces I have experienced is the demonic black background that can be delivered. When these 2 elements are joined with pinpoint stars the views are most pleasing.

I have only ever had the very large maxis and these, not surprisingly due to the size of the exit pupil, never delivered such stark displays. So whatever you decide to get please consider the build qualities that aid the limiting of stray light and enhance black backgrounds.

The 24mm Maxvision I do have

The 24mm Argon purged I don't,

That's the difference.

Apart from the obvious aesthetics,

I imagine optically, there wouldn't be much difference to an untrained eye.

For the budgies among us, the price difference is the only difference that counts!

Well mine are certainly untrained, recently tested, but untrained none the less.

After reading up a bit more, Alans review. I'm leaning towards the 24mm 82 maxvision version, budget being all important for me. Although it will be the most I've spent on an eyepiece. Looks like a fair chunk glass for the money.

Well mine are certainly untrained, recently tested, but untrained none the less.

After reading up a bit more, Alans review. I'm leaning towards the 24mm 82 maxvision version, budget being all important for me. Although it will be the most I've spent on an eyepiece. Looks like a fair chunk glass for the money.

It has exceptional quality for the price , as with the other maxvision I have 20mm, I love the twist up eye guard/cup. There is one slight annoyance I find with the 24mm is when the eye guard is fully down I tend to get "blank" spots that move when my eye moves, I'm sure there's a technical name for this I just can't remember, maybe it's just my eyes. But it improves with the eye guard twisted up about half way, and it doesn't narrow the field of view all that much.

It has exceptional quality for the price , as with the other maxvision I have 20mm, I love the twist up eye guard/cup. There is one slight annoyance I find with the 24mm is when the eye guard is fully down I tend to get "blank" spots that move when my eye moves, I'm sure there's a technical name for this I just can't remember, maybe it's just my eyes. But it improves with the eye guard twisted up about half way, and it doesn't narrow the field of view all that much.

i think the word yu was looking for is blackouts or kidney beaning

Archived