SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So you think your setup is complcated??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody mention darks and flats!  :eek:

I find it quite hard to get three datasets stacked and calibrated before lunchtime. With TEN it would be dark again before I'd finished...

This is the way to go deep, though. I think the problems associated with insanely fast F ratios are greater than those associated with multiple rigs.

Olly

Not much change out of £100,000 as far as I can see! I can't imagine the wife being to impressed....though she would definitely notice as the house would have to go!

Seriously though I was intrigued as to why this instrument is so good at it's job. The following article is really interesting and even I can understand it...just.....!http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.5473.pdf

Although I don't understand many of the details of the .phd doc, it makes an interesting read. That they are seeking to access data from objects whose surface brightness is below the optical limits of devices using reflective surfaces makes total sense. I'm thinking that limitations such as this may be one of the reason we call matter "dark", when we simply lack the capability to collect data from it.

Indeed the dark matter and dark energy are simply things that we have been unable to observe directly and therefore prove their existence.

Whether this setup can actually find the stuff though I am somewhat sceptical.

If the stuff interacts with light at all then I would have thought we would have already detected it as it should be interfering with background light.

It is entirely possible that the stuff isn't even in our universe which would make it very tricky to find [emoji54]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived