SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first Saturn pic...

It's not very impressive, but here is my first saturn attempt. Viewed last night.

12 secs of video on my 550d (movie crop mode), 2 X Barlow used. Converted and 75% best kept via PIPP. Sharpened a bit in GIMP.

Don't think NASA will want my efforts! Lol. Tim. 

post-35654-0-43450300-1432316772.jpeg

I find the way that detail comes out (as between your first and second pictures) during processing as rewarding as seeing things appear on a photographic print.

Yes, It's remarkable really. I find the whole process of taking photo's a bit like discovery. I took some photos of Pinwheel galaxy a couple of nights ago. I could see absolutely nothing in the eyepiece to suggest anything was there but then a 90 sec exp showed it was there. Then longer exposures to really see what it is. Same with globular clusters, just a faint fuzz through the eyepiece but some great detailed pictures showing millions of stars! The camera is remarkable, and so is the software. There is so much more to see than you can see with our eyes!

Have tried to adjust using wavelets and sharpening in elements and it is beginning to show a little detail. I still don't think NASA will be interested though!

attachicon.gifAfter wavelets and elements.jpg

Ah, much better. I had assumed you had sharpened already in the first pic, that's why it looked unfocused to me. Next step is to get a bigger barlow - your OTA would comfortably take a 4x for example.

Ah, much better. I had assumed you had sharpened already in the first pic, that's why it looked unfocused to me. Next step is to get a bigger barlow - your OTA would comfortably take a 4x for example.

Wallet empty at the moment... :sad:  Lol...

You got the Cassini division too. I think perfection doesn't matter on your first because the thrill of getting a recognisable image (and the Cassini division) trumps flawless. Flawless-ish can come next time when one has more experience. Well done.

Vikki.

Archived