Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night 2 - Last of the Dark and a Big Milestone

Paul73

Hi Guys

3 moonless nights of observing in a row! Can't believe my luck. I posted about the first session where my planned "Last Astro Darknes tour of favourite galaxies" was hijacked by a milky sky.

The last two nights have more than made up for it. 00:30 to 02:30 sessions were a nice length and didn't cause too much damage to work in the morning. My sighter on the Leo Triplet showed the three components clearly so my hopes began to grow.

This Markarian Chain was top of the list. Entering the main Leo Galaxy field via the recently discovered (by me at least) colourful double of Coma 24, I dropped straight down to the chain. Best view of the year! 10 or 11 galaxies in a graceful arc across my 2° FOV. Some in pairs and some single. It truely is a wonderful sight. I upped the magnification to x70 which improved the contrast nicely and swung past Virgo A (M87) to the interacting galaxies of the Siamese Twins (NGC4568/67) with NGC4564 showing well in the same field. There followed a couple of slow sweeps of the area, just enjoying watching the galaxies slipping quietly by.

The Whale (NGC4631) just above Coma was my next stop. This is an old favourite which was bright, lumpy and bumpy. NGC 4656 was in close attendance. I've since been told that this is the Hockey Stick galaxy. I couldn't see anything other than a straight brightish streak of fuzz, so will need to revisit. Before leaving the area, I had an entertaining look at the little group to the right of Y Coma and a few other Coma favorites.

Now for the Main (surprise event) in Scorpio!

I noticed that the southern horizon was unusually clear so dug out the binoculars and had a look. M4 was showing clearly. The scope removed this Globular to the core. This was my best ever view of this cluster.

"Hmm. Just maybe....". Back to the bins and head down and left. The Butterfly cluster!! Then, standing on a garden chair, down still further. Ptolomey's Cluster!!! This is my first sighting of M6&7 from the UK. I have now seen all of the Messiers from my West Berkshire back garden. Happy happy happy.

A nice crisp Saturn finished up a great night.

Last night was also good, with Lovejoy and the nearby subtle open cluster NGC5448 providing a memorable view.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Nice milestone :smiley: , M6 should be the one for me if I'm going to get any more Messiers up here, have to try my luck when darkness returns in August.

Archived