Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to photograph Saturn

I would like to have a go at photographing Saturn tonight (sky permitting)

I know its not the best setup, but its all I have,   a Canon EOS 100D unmodded, an adapter for my Meade LX90 8"

I also have a 300mm lens for my camera. 

What would be the best settings of the camera to try and get a photo of Saturn.

PLEASE  :smiley:

You need to try and see what works.

Video will probably be best, and if you can insert a barlow between the dslr and the acope that will help, but may make it more tricky to find saturn.

Get the foxus as sharp as possible; it will continually look like the focus is changing, but stuck with it and eventually you'll see you've got the focus about right.

Alter the settings that you can to get the planet to just look between dull and bright. Not too bright but not too dull. Then capture video, maybe three minutes worth. Take lots of runs of video as some will be better than others.

Then run the video through stacking software.

James

OK cheers, erm just got this info about video mode:

As such you can film 1080p at 24, 25 or 30fps, 720p at 50 or 60fps, or VGA at 25 or 30fps

So what would be the least compression from that?

I've have thought: 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD / 1080p) at 30 & 24 frames per second, but I am not an expert on this. You may need to do some looking online or asking in the photography section of the forum. Also ascertain what speed you can write to your memory card, and if maybe you should be streaming the video to a computer... not an area I know much about, sorry.

James

I have a Canon 60D and used the movie crop mode (60fps). Using Autostakkert 2 (Free), I convert the Canon MOV file to AVI and then open in Castrator (free) to automatically crop the individual images and then stack in Registax (free). The latter program will choose the best images to use. A 1 or 2 minute video creates 3600-7200 images. Registax has some good post-stacking software and any final image touches can be done on PS or equivalent.  There are a couple of good videos on YouTube that goes through the whole process with Saturn.

Good Luck!

David

Archived