SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First timer

Hi I'm a beginner sky viewer and it's been so exciting. I read that I should start out with astronomical binos. So I picked up Celestron 15x70's. They are great! I realized very soon after getting them that I want to get a telescope. Haha. I knew that would happen. Any suggestions for a first timer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Star clusters, both open and globular, are the perfect targets for binoculars. Most of the Astronomy magazines have a monthly binocular viewing article, so you could pick up a magazine?

Or download Stellarium, and see what's up.

I would definitely recommend Stellarium as a nice, free starter prog.

Great selection on binoculars. I would also recommend the Celestron cometron 7x50 as a supplement to the 15x70 just for their lightness and wide FOV. I would suggest not rushing into the new scope. Research what you want, given your situation and money/time you want to invest for up to a year before actually purchasing. Nothing as bad as a great scope that doesn't get used. Don't overlook the importance of ease-of-use within your lifestyle.

Best,

Grant

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. Great way to start with binos a you learn where things are in the sky and how to star hop. I would say before splashing out dollars, go to a local astro group meet and see what kit others have and what may suit you best.

Else post your budget here and we will gladly spend it for you in recommendations.. :grin:

Duplicate post??

Thanks guys! I will def check out Stellarium (can't wait to find out what that is. Ha!)

Astro group? There are groups? Oh how fun! I've been going to an observatory but I don't think that's a group. Diff docents and viewers every week. I'm like a sponge. Asking all kinds of questions. Yes. Sorry it is a duplicate post. It was my first time using this app. I clearly have earned the First Timer title!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I publish a (free!) monthly newsletter for binocular astronomers - it's aimed at my latitude (51*N), but much of what it covers is relevant at the latitude of Sacramento. (click on banner in sig, & go to "Newsletter" tab)

• 3 weeks later...

Spacegurl... I just bought a pair of Celestron 15x70's myself. I'm very impressed with the optics. The view is crystal clear and bright. I was quite disappointed with them at first as the collimation was totally out of whack. I was getting a bad double image. It was very easy to fix however. I just accessed the adjustment screw for the prism underneath the rubber hand grip and at first it was quite stiff to move. After applying a little torque it broke free and moved the tiniest bit and Boom! that was all it took. I thought it would take a good bit of adjusting and checking the focus but it was easy. One little tweak and they focus nicely now. I really like mine. I bought a pistol grip tripod to make the bins easier to wield and it's a sweet setup. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your bins and happy viewing!

I too have just purchased the Celestron 15x70s!! I'm hoping to see some great things when I go camping next week. I have been reading about the collimation issues with binoculars. Not very familiar with binoculars so hopefully I'm able to correct any issues if I have any.

I've been using Stellarium for years! It's my favorite astronomy program. The mobile app is easy to use and offers good information.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived