Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable Counter-weight

Xaxys

I am planning an overseas eclipse trip and trying to keep my luggage weight down. One of the frustrations is having to tote a 5kg counterweight along.

So - has anyone come across a travel-counterweight that can be taken on flights empty, then be filled with rocks/sand/water locally for observing?

Any ideas on how to make such a thing?

Thanks

Peter.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Problem with water is that I would need about a gallon of it to replace a 5kg weight, so something denser is needed.

Perhaps I should invent a solution...

Looking at this list http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-materials-d_1652.html then a good option for bulk/weight might be to buy bags of salt and strap to the bar with gaffer tape :smile:

How are you powering the mount?  Could your battery form part of the counter-weight?  

Is a longer counterweight bar another option as the further away the weight is the less you'll need.  And of course if you strip the scope down to the essentials, use lighter eyepieces/cameras you'll need less weight too.

Let us know how you get on

Helen

Hi Helen,

I have been looking at this and tried different options for a couple of years. I have a flight friendly setup which packs into a 23kg suitcase and hand luggage. I have always thought it was pointless to pay to carry deadweight onto a plane when there is always always plenty of sand, water or other heavy material available at the other end. I would rather use my weight allowance on extra lenses

You can buy weights for weightlifting that are filled with sand they have a removable plug .You would also need a collar to hold it to the shaft.I used to do this with my set up until I got a proper counterweight.post-27162-0-01222200-1432566419_thumb.j

As mentioned already water isn't always heavy enough...I have in the past used a aluminium drinking bottle filled with sand and then topped off with water screwed to the end of the counterweight bar. That was the easiest and quickest to source.

I had a small weight that was used to tweak the balance that could slide up/down the shaft...since you tend to know what the weight of the setup is going to be.

If you could easily get lead shot abroad, that would be great but I went to the supermarket/shops to see if there was anything denser than wet sand that was cheap but didn't spot anything.

If your after lead on holiday try diving stores. Divers often use lead shot in their weight belts. Either that or solid lead blocks.

Lead is expensive but I guess you could sell it back afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived