SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 5139 - OMEGA CENTAURI

jsmoraes

Well, many days with clouds and rains. Time to review photos from my album. I found one that I like very much: Omega Centauri. It was my best capture of this Globular Cluster, that some people believe to be remains of a galactic core.

GSO 305 mm - Canon T3 - 10 x ISO 400 - 240 seg - 3 x ISO 800 - 240 seg - 1 x ISO 400 - 240 seg - Halfa - OAG - Skyblow filter - Coma Corrector

http://www.astrobin.com/103694/0/

ngc5139-hargb-140622-k9.jpg

This crop with original image scale from Canon T3 ( ~ 0.65"/px) is very impressive !

ngc5139-140622-corecrop-k9.jpg

I have others photos not like this, although. You can see at http://jsmastronomy.30143.n7.nabble.com/NGC-5139-td140.html

We are at May, Omega is comming. How it will be with my new E S Focal Expander 3x ?

Omega Centauri makes M13 look like a failed globular.

I have seen and briefly imaged it and it is very impressive and you have captured it well.

There are a few images kicking about where they are compared side-by-side...

I've just recently started to image globular clusters. I've started with M13. They are a lot harder to image than you would believe. Focus is really critical & it's so easy to burn out the core. I'm going to reprocess my M13 picture in Pixinsight to see if I make it look better. It's a bit green & the core is burnt out.

I agree that Omega Centauri is fabulous. It is sad that I will never see it from my location- in fact it's a miracle I see ANYTHING from my location......but I digress.

Messier 13 seems to be similar o Omega. A very dense and big globular cluster.

Globular is very difficult to photograph. You need use more then only one exposition. One for the luminance, with the power of ligh from the cluster. Other with less ISO/exposition to catch the stars inside the core. Both will compose the final image by layers and merging.

And another try

GSO 305 mm - Canon T3 - 16 x 3 min (48 min) - ISO 800 - Skyglow filter - OAG - Coma corrector

n3159-k9.jpg

n3159-core-k9.jpg

note: more stars in the core, despite of not so round as the previous from 2014.

Archived