Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor help needed.

Mad Dog

Hello, I will soon be purchasing my first scope for AP to sit on an AZ-EQ6 . I am thinking of either an Evostar 80 with reducer and upgraded focuser or the Esprit 80 with flattener . I see the wonderful images from the Evostar that people have shown here and they certainly give me inspiration! I also see that the focuser needs replacing on the Evostar when adding imaging kit unless you are very lucky with the stock one. So i would like to know, Is the Esprit focuser up to the task and is it worth spending the extra on an Esprit regarding build and optic etc.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jason.

I don't want to make your choice even harder, but if you are heading into Esprit and triplet territory, then it opens a whole world of refractor choices, not just Skywatcher ones. AltairAstro do a very nice line in triplets, and there is the opportunity for second hand high end branded ones.

Thanks Matt, Your 80ED images are excellent, If they had been taken with a triplet would they be significantly better or just marginally better? i'm talking about a £1kish triplet not a Tak :)  i just can't make my mind up, I've chose the mount,camera, guide cam, filters and filter wheel, which leaves me about £1500 for any other bits (power/leads/spacers/adapters) and whatever is left is for the scope with reducer / flattener ,  upgraded focuser if applicable.

Archived