SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quark Solar PSU

Ewan

Thought I would post a very quick review / pics of the Solar psu I bought for my Quark for £15.

It has worked flawlessly so far & charges under the sun when in use.

You get a few different connectors so you can charge Tablets or phones etc, comes in the matching Q red so looks part of the kit.

As you can see in the pic's the camera flash set the unit into 'charge mode', so quite sensitive.

Hope this may be of use to other Q user's looking for a mobile psu.

post-11075-0-49322400-1430947363.jpg

post-11075-0-03745000-1430947383.jpg

No worries Dave, i wanted to try it out first before suggesting it to other SGL members in case it was naff.

Charged up the wifes Samsung Galaxy no problem, i wonder if it would charge the iron & hoover for her too :evil:

Nice one Ewan. I use the same battery for my Quark and find it very good. Importantly it has the 2A output needed for the Quark and has plenty of juice for a days observing.

Seriously though I just got fed up paying top dollar for things so basic for this day & age.

As for the battery size I will leave that for you to decide but I'm happy with this for now.

Glad it helped save some coffers for that next big frac.

The ebay link seems to have both 3000mah and 8000 versions but the price is the same and the decription for the order always reads 3000.

Surely the 8000 is better Option?

Isn't it 30 thousand v 8 thousand  not 3 v 8 thousand?

Helen

8000 mAh may simply be the more realistic estimate. I found this review of a 30000mAh version:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/02/21/usb-solar-power-bank-review/

It states the capacity seems closer to 8000 or 10000mAh (still very useful). The reviewer also computes it would take 7 days to charge fully in sunlight. Solar charging is still useful, of course. The 5V output is a bit low for me: the Solar Spectrum takes 12V, and the mount 6V.

Sorry admins if I mis-posted earlier & it had to be edited.

Regarding the Solar charging time, personally I would not be looking at getting this fully charged in the sun for serious usage, I charged mine via the PC USB, the reason I bought one was it's seriously portable.

I use my mains to usb power adapter which came with my S5 to charge this, no problems to report.

When we do eventually get a good clear day where I can solar image for a few hours I intend to just use this to power the Q for as long as it can.

As I said previously though it will be handy for other gadgets that run out right when you need it least.

8000 mAh may simply be the more realistic estimate. I found this review of a 30000mAh version:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/02/21/usb-solar-power-bank-review/

It states the capacity seems closer to 8000 or 10000mAh (still very useful). The reviewer also computes it would take 7 days to charge fully in sunlight. Solar charging is still useful, of course. The 5V output is a bit low for me: the Solar Spectrum takes 12V, and the mount 6V.

Looking at his last image Michael I am left wondering if he removed the plastic protection sheet prior to testing charge times :rolleyes:

I bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-External-Technology-Black/dp/B00GSLRKJO

It doesn't have the solar charger, but does give you 2xUSB high current outputs and 12V at the same time. It powers my Quark and mount at the same time and as it is Li Ion has no memory effect, minimal (almost none) self discharge and is flight safe. Oh it charges my little collection of Apple devices faster than the supplied charger.

When I first bought it and took it abroad, the airlines were just started to get tough on batteries, so I printed the airlines industry approval certificate for this battery, just in case I got stopped in customs.

Robin

Archived