Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 6, 2015: Stunning views of AR 2339 (the new one)

Had my scope out early in the morning. As the etalon of the Solar Spectrum filter was heating up, AR 2339 on the northeastern limb showed up as a big group of sunspots; really complex. In H-alpha it looked even better. AR 2335 is also showing some gorgeous detail, and the mega filament train is slowing moving west, its western-most end forming a nice filaprom.

I managed to capture some data, so hopefully I can produce some images later today

Had the SolarMax 60mm out just now (short after-lunch outing) and the AR is really developing beautifully. Given the prom activity on the limb there I would not be surprised if more were to follow. There are some proms on the western limb which look very interesting as well.

Saw it yesterday coming round the limb, tried a video but it was too windy and didn't stack without artifacts, pouring down ATM, looking at satellite it may brighten up later.

Dave

Archived