Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone been to Kielder observatory?

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Newcastle in Sept and timed it so I can be there for the new moon. I noticed that Kielder observatory is only one hour away, so I am planning a visit. Can I please ask for some input on the following?

1. How easy is it to get there from Newcastle, google maps says the roads are sealed and easily accessible. I will have a hire car, I just hope I don't need a 4wd....

2. I am planing to attend the aurora night and the dark sky obs. Has anyone done these and what are your impressions?

3. I am also looking at staying around Kielder, any accomodation recommendations? I am looking around 50-60 quid per night.

4. What's the night temp there? I will be travelling from Australia so don't want to pack snow pants and snow boot if I can help it.

Thanks in advance,

Bo

Hi Bo

To reach the West side of Kielder (where the Observatory is situated) I usually would allow approx 1hr 20min - 1hr 30min. What part of Newcastle are you planning on staying at? I live on the North end, not far from the Town Moor (High West Jesmond) and my route is for the A696 Ponteland road. I cut across single track roads due West from Kirkwhelpington, but it might be best to continue on heading North and join the A68 (so heading South a bit), ultimately heading to Bellingham, which is the gateway into Kielder. Another route out from Newcastle, would be to join the A69 and then join the A68 from Corbridge to Bellingham.

The roads are good, particularly at that time of year (kielder roads can get a bit snow blocked in Winter occasionally). The final route up to the Observatory is on a logging / forest road, in which ordinary vehicles should be OK with care.

For accommodation I would suggest a Bed and Breakfast, closest to the Observatory is in Kielder Village (which has a pub, village shop, cafe etc), though Falston Village is not so far away.

bed and breakfast kielder village - Google Search

It may be chilly in the evenings, but I would not expect that time of year to warrant the need for full winter clothing, a few suitable layers ought be fine.

Have a good trip

Be aware that someone I know tried booking me and himself in, in time for my last visit to Newcastle and he was told there was a waiting list of around a year !  

That may have changed but I think him and myself are still on the waiting list and I still have not been yet. 

Check first :) 

We walked up to the observatory from one of the lower car parks a couple of years back when holidaying in the area. We walked as I didn't realise you could drive up, though I have to say it had been particularly wet and the track was very muddy, I doubt my car would have made it.....take a pair of boots!

There is also a new observatory at a pub and eco lodge style bed & breakfast called the Battlesteads. I don't know what equipment they have specifically, but it's had a lot of money spent on it recently and it looks pretty smart. It's not too far from Kielder, although the prices may be a bit more than you're willing to pay.

If you do decide to stop over at Kielder Village, as an alternative to car hire, there is a bus service from Hexham (rail station) to Kielder Village. Hexham is easily reached first by metro and then short train journey from Newcastle. A walk up to the observatory from the village might take approx 45 minutes. The new observatory as mentioned by Jim sounds interesting to. Also as mentioned there is a lower car park if conditions on the ground are less than ideal. 

I have visited and toured around the Observatory, though I have never attended any events here. The area though is fantastic when the skies are clear, I have attended some of the Spring & Autumn starcamps held at the village campsite.

Experience Northumberland by bus

It is a very nice observatory, and people are friendly and helpful. I visited once and was a great experience.

No problem to reach it either!

Good luck and enjoy!  :smiley:

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Newcastle in Sept and timed it so I can be there for the new moon. I noticed that Kielder observatory is only one hour away, so I am planning a visit. Can I please ask for some input on the following?

1. How easy is it to get there from Newcastle, google maps says the roads are sealed and easily accessible. I will have a hire car, I just hope I don't need a 4wd....

2. I am planing to attend the aurora night and the dark sky obs. Has anyone done these and what are your impressions?

3. I am also looking at staying around Kielder, any accomodation recommendations? I am looking around 50-60 quid per night.

4. What's the night temp there? I will be travelling from Australia so don't want to pack snow pants and snow boot if I can help it.

Thanks in advance,

Bo

Hi Bo

They have their own thread in the Observatory section on here. You could also refer to that.

Be aware that someone I know tried booking me and himself in, in time for my last visit to Newcastle and he was told there was a waiting list of around a year !  

I don't think it is that bad, but at that time of year weekends do fill up early (a month or two in advance), so as soon as you know your plans I would get on the web site and book. During the working week it is easier to get a ticket, although to be safe I would still book several weeks in advance.

It is unlikely snow at that time of year, but the observatory does have a 4WD vehicle and if the track is very bad this is used to ferry guests up to the top.

NigelM (Kielder trustee)

Thanks again everyone, 

I had a quick search of past threads on Kielder observatory and managed to get a few more hints.

BTW, anyone know of any astro related places I should visit down towards Stoke on Trent?

I will be flying to London from Melbourne, spend a few days there (Greenwich and Natural History Museum already on the agenda).

Then I will take a train to Newcastle where I will pick up a hire car to get around Newcastle/Kielder. I will then drive to Stoke on Trent via the Lakes District before dropping the car off at Stoke on Trent and take another train back to London (and onto Denmark and Belgium).

Great forum and nice people at SGL...

Bo

p.s. not much use for September yet, but there is a web page summarizing availability for two months ahead

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/events-availability/

NigelM

There is a separate calendar page that shows their events for forthcoming months.  Here's the September page:  http://www.kielderobservatory.org/events/#/?ajaxCalendar=1&mo=9&yr=2015&orderby=event_start_date%2Cevent_start_time%2Cevent_name&location=1%2C8&pagination=1&full=1

Kielder Observatory is a great place to visit - it was cloudy the night I went, but still an interesting visit.

Archived