Narrowband

May 5, 2015: New AR on the eastern limb very active

It is Liberation Day today, so I have the day off. The skies are infuriating: large masses of cloud and bright blue patches are chasing across the skies. The result is that it is near impossible to do any imaging. I did get the SolarMax 60mm out, because I couldn't afford to wait for the Solar Spectrum to come on band. I did shoot some AVIs, and I will process them later.

In the meantime I have done some observing in the gaps, and noted a detached prom high up over the north-eastern limb, best seen with the etalon slightly off-band. On either side two other proms are visible. Just south of this is a very active-looking AR right on the limb, with what looks like a bright surge prom sticking out. Clearly an area to watch. The disk also shows the big sequence of filaments on the southern hemisphere.

I also tried my Vixen Orthoscopic 25mm in this faster scopes, and there are no real differences to be seen with the TV Plössl 25mm, except that the orthoscopic was perhaps a touch brighter. Difficult to tell.

Archived