Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CEM120- late 2015

Zakalwe

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.altairastro.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=18

CEM120_1-600w.jpg

CEM120_3-600w.jpg

The dovetail plate looks like they've copied the Paramount Versaplate- USB hub and power on the dovetail plate. WiFi enabled and Ethernet...Ethernet is got to be good for remote operation to get away from the USB 5 metre restriction. They claim Direct Drive, but they mean that the motors drive the worm, not a true direct drive like the ASA mounts.

Being able to use ethernet for control would be good.  The counterweight shaft looks a bit of an afterthought though.  Not that there are that many choices about where to put it.

James

I dunno, but I think if I was in the market for a mount with that load capacity I'd be looking Mesu 200. More expensive, yes (But not a lot more) and getting away from worm-and-wheel.

It's slightly lighter than an EQ-8 with twice the payload capacity. I chose an IEQ45 over an EQ-6 for the same reason, if you don't have an observatory and transport your kit out to dark sites weight is very important.

Mel

It's slightly lighter than an EQ-8 with twice the payload capacity. I chose an IEQ45 over an EQ-6 for the same reason, if you don't have an observatory and transport your kit out to dark sites weight is very important. Mel

It has a similar payload. The EQ8 weighs 28Kg (head and counterweight bar) and carries 50kg. The CEM120 weighs 27Kg and carries 55Kg

Apparently, the "direct drive" means absence of the first reduction stage directly on the steppers. Sounds like dangerous practice to, relying on accurate micro-stepping for resolution.

We'll see if they get it out the door. They have, of late, used the market as unsuspecting beta testers...

For accurate tracking, I also have concerns about flex in the cw bar, but that may not be justified. My mount of similar payload has a 40mm cw bar in order to cope with flex.

/per

The CW arrangement is a bit unusual, but the bar itself is 43mm diameter stainless steel. I can't see that flexing too much.

I think that they are phrasing it a "direct drive worm" ......The motor is connected directly to the worm without any spur gears or belt drives.

Archived