Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7380 - The Wizard nebula in HST

swag72

This is data from last year - I was never happy with the original process but I always put the image to bed once processed so that was that! With the run of frankly terrible weather I had to do something, so went back to see if I could do it justice this time. Interested to hear any comments, good or bad :)

The processing was tricky in that the data was from an Atik 460 and having got used to the larger chipped 490 equivalent, I found the data to be quite noisy and 'clumpy' in comparison to what I'm used to. It certainly was more difficult to work with, which I found interesting in itself.

Details

M: Avalon Linear Fast reverse

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm narrowband filters

24x1800s Ha

15x1800s OIII

15x1800s SII

Total integration time - 27 hours

post-5681-0-85057000-1430809451_thumb.jp

There is a larger version here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/wizard.jpg

Looks alright to me Sara, wouldnt have known you used a different camera if you hadnt mentioned it!

If you think the 460 data is a bit clumpy, try the 383....lol... it would drive you bonkers :D  Having said that, its probably a case of getting used to it - it took me a while to adjust when going from sony to kodak.

It's quite something when an image gets better the higher the resolution you choose to view it and that is certainly the case here. It's the stars which seem to get better but both low noise and resolution hold up incredibly well. We've seen that before from Mme Wager...

Olly

Archived