SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Excited and nervous!

stu640

Hi everyone,

So 6 months ago, on the basis of being in a school astronomy club 30 years ago, I was tasked, with two days notice, to find my brother-in-law a starter telescope! He's thoroughly enjoying his Celestron Nexstar computerised refractor (can't remember the exact model, bought from the now sadly closed down Astronomia near Dorking). Well my enthusiasm about this task meant that my wife surprised me with a Skywatcher Explorer 130 EQ2 for my 40th last week! Possibly not ideal not to have had a hand in choosing it, but she was recommended it and I've seen plenty on here in just the last few hours to suggest its a pretty good starter, so very excited.

But also nervous - I've spent the last few days of poor weather getting my head around RA & Dec, collimation etc - I knew there would be complexities, but didn't realise their nature till now! I think I'm just going to go out when the sky clears, point it at something and see what happens and worry about the technical stuff later!

Very much looking forward to learning from you all and hopefully in time being able to give advice back!

Cheers,

Stu

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome

When you've spent a bit of time looking at things I thoroughly recommend Turn Left at Orion as the book to get. I'm fairly new at this and have found it to be great for navigating my way around

Clear skies

Hi and welcome

When you've spent a bit of time looking at things I thoroughly recommend Turn Left at Orion as the book to get. I'm fairly new at this and have found it to be great for navigating my way around

Clear skies

Ha - my wife arranged for my mother-in-law to get me that as a birthday gift following a recommendation! Thoroughly enjoying it between separating two young boys from trying to kill eachother!

Hello and welcome,

As a fellow newbie i am doing the same just pointing for the moment, i did purchase a planisphere to help me, not very expensive less than a tenner. hoping the RA & Dec will just fall into place in my head one day.  you will find that the book is a good one as lots of people on here recomend it.

All the best

Cylon

Hi Stu

Welcome to SGL, would also recommend that you get yourself a pair of Binoculars, it can be very frustrating when you first start out trying to find things through the telescope, checking the sky out first with the binoculars is a great way of learning and also helps you zero in on objects you want to see when using the scope.

Peter

Hi Stu. :)

Welcome to the Lounge.

I have posted this on a thread before, to try and give some basic things for a new starter.

Hope it helps a little. ;)

Welcome to this fascinating Pastime. :)

Firstly, I'd get a copy of a good astronomy Guide, something like, ' Turn Left at Orion ' or 'The Backyard Astronomers guide' books like these are invaluable when your starting out.

There are also some great free software, you can get to show you what's in the sky at night. http://www.skymaps.com Is something that you can print off, and is very handy.

There's also some software called 'Stellarium '. http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

That's great if you have a tablet or phone with you, whilst observing.

The other recommendation is find your nearest. Astro society, and go along, and see what other people have, it's a perfect opportunity to ask questions. :)http://www.firstligh...om/locator.html

Also have a good read at some of the beginners threads on here, they are very helpful,and may well give you some answers.

A must read is this. Please don't expect to see things , as you would on TV or in magazines. http://stargazerslou...-expect-to-see/

But for now your main objective is. ENJOY YOUR STARGAZING. ;)

Hi Stu,

Welcome to SGL, it's a great resource. My suggestion is get out there (clouds permitting) and get looking. You'll probably find that from time to time, you start wondering about a specific topic (you mention RA and Dec which is a good one to get sorted out), so you'll do some research and perhaps seek advice on SGL and it'll become crystal clear. That in itself is very satisfying, especially when you start using your new found knowledge in practical terms as well as researching the objects you're looking at to understand what they are and what they're doing.

I've found joining a local astronomy society incredibly beneficial. The "Turn Left at Orion" book recommended by an earlier poster is a very good recommendation too.

Take your time and enjoy.

Thank you all, I'm going to paste these posts into a word document and work my way through all the links and advice in slow time! Well, not too slow, want to get out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome from me ,you title sums up how I feel every time I roll my roof of and I am greeted by black sky ,and hundreds of stars shinning back at me I tend not to let the tech side bother me and when it's been a few hours ,I take a look at whats on offer,I do spend a good twenty minutes pluss at what I am looking at ,all I could say at this point of your journey is learn the constelations ,once you can point them out ,point them out to family and friends ,after a few weeks you will amaze your self .at that point learn whats on offer each constelation as some thing around or in it to view ,keep a record of your nights out and enjoy it.

Clear sky's always

Pat

Archived