SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

There's a lot of stuff up there...

amca01

...and after spending most of life enjoying it with naked eyes and binoculars (off and on) I've decided to get a telescope, so I'm in the almost impossible hunt for finding something which will suit me, my observing habits (occasional), and my location (city), and my budget (not huge).

I'll keep y'all posted, but I shall probably keep hunting for a few more months and buy myself something for my birthday in early July (mid winter here, with some crisp cloudless nights.)

Happy viewing, folks!

-A.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Choosing a telescope is not easy.. From your message I can see four variables:

1. You already have small aperture optics (binoculars)

2. Not much time: you need something easy to mount, carry around and use

3. City: you want a bit of aperture for contrasting light pollution

4. Budget: don't spend too much.

You didn't mention your targets of interest, so assuming a bit of everything, I would be tempted to say something like a skywatcher newton 150 on Az4 mount.

This is my opinion of course and other members may have different opinions.

Hello amca01 and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang :smiley:

It took me absolutely ages to finally decide on what type of scope I "thought" might suit me. It's good to see the process is just as compicated, interesting, frustrating and enjoyable on the other side of the world.

I settled on a Newtonian on a GEM Mine turns the stars "upside down here in England, so I suppose the good thing is, if you go for one of those, in Australia, it would turn them up the right way :grin:

Seriously though, whatever you go for, I hope you enjoy your hobby and your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hello and welcome,

it also took me a while to decide what i wanted scope wise, i changed my mind many times but i found this to be good as i did not rush in and make a rash buy.  In the end i got what i was happy with so do not rush, there are lots of reviews of equipment on this site and the people are very helpfull.  Whatever you choose in the end i hope that you enjoy it.

All the best

Cylon

Hi

Welcome to SGL, whatever you choose in the end, I'm sure you will find plenty of people on here that have or have had experience with it that can give you great advice.

Peter

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  It's a hard decision all right to make, took me three months to settle on the SW 200p Dob, after taking advice from the folks here.  Haven't regretted it.  Great scope & one of the most popular.

Archived