SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Buying first DSLR... help!

So, I've come to the point where I can no longer contain my frustration at having to use my phone and a cheap compact camera for 'astrophotography' (by 'astrophotography', I mean MOON PHOTOS, and lots of them, as that is pretty much what I'm restricted to with my current imaging equipment!)

After a lot of reading, I've decided on going with a Canon DSLR, though I'm not entirely sure which one to go for!  My budget is around £500-£600, although I would hold off on buying right now to save up a bit more if needed. I'm wanting to mainly image DSOs, but if there are any Canons out there that are good 'all-rounders' then that'd be great, as I would like to try planetary imaging too (but DSOs would be my main priority).

I currently only own an 8" Dobson, not exactly useful for AP, but I'll be investing in a new set-up when I've saved up some more pennies!  Deliberated for a while over whether to get a new scope/mount before the camera, but the camera won in the end.  

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could show me photos they've taken with a Canon within my price range, so I can see what kind of images would be possible (with a bit of practise :p )  Or if anyone has any advice in general, it would be much appreciated!  

Thanks!

The key feature fo me when I chose a camera was a flip out screen this realy does make a big difference when trying to frame and focus an image through a scope, you can of course use tethering to display the live view image on a laptop screen but its more kit to drag around.

The Canon 550, 600, 650, 60d and 700d all have the articulated screen but only the 550d and 60d (and 60da) have true 1:1 movie crop mode that makes the particularly suitable for planetary imaging too but all are very capable generally.

If you are buying new I would look for a deal that includes a kit lens these are very capable lenses for the money for widefield ap if a little slow but great for the daytime stuff too.

Alan

I think the comment about the flip out screen is absolutely correct. I have a 600D and I adore its flip out screen. Using a dslr on a newt on a dob base means you don't really need the flip out screen as the back of the camera will always be facing you anyway, but if you upgrade the scope and go onto an equatorial mount, or even an alt-az mount you'll find the flip out screen greatly helps your neck, back, knees, patience and enjoyment :)

Also as said above, try and get a set up which includes a wide[ish] angle lens so you can do some star trails and other fun widefield stuff. Most of the cameras in your price range will have a cropped sensor, which means the sensor is smaller than the more expensive full frame cameras. This isn't a problem just some reading up you need to do unless you know all this stuff already. If you can get a lens with a focal length less than the stock 18-55mm then that would be a bonus I think.

Memory cards are pretty cheap, £8 or so for a 32gig reasonably fast write speed, and if you are going to be doing star trails over 3 hours or so then i'd get a battery grip for your specific camera and another battery (or two) else look at mains adapters for running the camera off the mains. Also, you may need to factor in getting an intervalometer so you can use the camera remotely (wired or wireless) and set up sequences of images to capture while you go for a cuppa; again these can be pretty cheap on amazon and are camera specific.

None of my dslr cameras are astro modified so i can't comment on that.

James

I think you will struggle with DSOs using a dob base. It's not impossible, but i'd consider delaying that venture until you have a tracking mount. Stick with solar system imaging until then. There is a thread somewhere else which is recent talking about planetary imaging with a canon.

James

Your signature says you have a 200P dobsonian, you are not going to go DSO imaging with that.

You will likely struggle to do planetary imaging with one and so are still restricted in effect to the moon.

Do not want you to spend out something like £500 then find you are in the same situation.

It is possible to image the planets with a dob mounted scope, but i can't imagine it is easy, or fun:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239736-saturn-through-undriven-handguided-dob/?fromsearch=1

But it is a good point ronin makes. At least having the camera will mean you are even more keen to get a motorised mount so you can use your camera on more targets.

But in the mean time, star trails are lovely :) ... In which case you need to budget for a tripod too! I picked a reasonable tripod up in a charity shop for £5 for an astronomy-friend, so worth checking those out. I've also got hold of several pairs of binoculars that way too.

James

If you look here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/238553-a-few-jupiters-from-6-march/ you will see an image of Jupiter taken with my Canon 550 and also a CCD. The Canon shot included the use of a 5X Powermate because the Field of View is so much bigger than a CCD. You might struggle with a dob, as said above, but you could try. I recommend using a laptop with Backyard EOS rather than just using the camera as it makes capture/exposure/focus so much easier. Good luck.

Peter 

About this time last year I was in the same position re a DSLR. I went for a 700D and am delighted with it. The slight 'down side' is that because of night time weather conditions the camera got more day time use and subsequently I have become hooked on nature and wildlife photography with a never ending quest to improve my abilities.

As has been said, the flip screen does make things easier at night.

Luckily I already had the EQ Mounts etc, otherwise I doubt that I'd have managed to go down that route as my funds have all been spent on camera lenses etc etc.

Any modern Canon will do the trick.

If it were me then I would go for a modded one that I could use in daylight as well.

You don't even need a scope, any decent camera lens will do just as well.

What you will want of course is a nice stable mount, there a some nice cheap portable ones around.

So, I've come to the point where I can no longer contain my frustration at having to use my phone and a cheap compact camera for 'astrophotography' (by 'astrophotography', I mean MOON PHOTOS, and lots of them, as that is pretty much what I'm restricted to with my current imaging equipment!)

After a lot of reading, I've decided on going with a Canon DSLR, though I'm not entirely sure which one to go for!  My budget is around £500-£600, although I would hold off on buying right now to save up a bit more if needed. I'm wanting to mainly image DSOs, but if there are any Canons out there that are good 'all-rounders' then that'd be great, as I would like to try planetary imaging too (but DSOs would be my main priority).

I currently only own an 8" Dobson, not exactly useful for AP, but I'll be investing in a new set-up when I've saved up some more pennies!  Deliberated for a while over whether to get a new scope/mount before the camera, but the camera won in the end.  

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could show me photos they've taken with a Canon within my price range, so I can see what kind of images would be possible (with a bit of practise :p )  Or if anyone has any advice in general, it would be much appreciated!  

Thanks!

Alan's response above is key. If you wish to do any planetary imaging and similarly lunar or Solar you will gain significant advantage by narrowing your choice to the 550D or 60D (the 60Da is also astro ready). This is because they have two key features other crop sensor Canons don't posses. the first is a relatively fast movie capture at 60fps and secondly true movie crop mode enabling 1:1 pixel ratio. If you click on my Flickr link in my signature all the photos are taken with either a 600D or a 60D. Both these models have the flip out screen and 10x zoom that helps dramatically with focussing.

Nadine, I've found you some stuff (it's fun spending other peoples money):

A sturdy tripod but made out of carbon fibre so is nice and light, and ideally with easy adjustments to tilt the camera backwards-forwards and left-right, ideally get one with retractable spikes in the feet so it can sit firmly on soft ground:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL-DSLR-FILM-CAMERA-CARBON-FIBRE-TRIPOD-3-SECTION-PAN-TILT-HEAD-/360747510210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53fe3a29c2

A nice wide angle lens:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Tamron-SP-10-24mm-F3-5-4-5-Lens-in-Canon-Fit-/141654165640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fb3f0888

A 77mm UV filter to protect the front of the lens:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Optics-Multi-Coated-Protective-Filter/dp/B003USTN8O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430638838&sr=1-3&keywords=77mm+uv+filter

A bag to carry it all in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DURAGADGET-Padded-Rucksack-Backpack-PowerShot/dp/B0030U0V0G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430638560&sr=1-2&keywords=camera+bag

Memory card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Premium-Class-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B00B1862ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430637223&sr=8-1&keywords=32+gb+card

Wireless remote and intervalometer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Shutter-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00RHD860O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1430637159&sr=8-7&keywords=canon+600d+wireless

A battery grip for a 600D, 650D, 700D with two extra batteries:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-E8-Battery-Grip-For-Canon-EOS-550D-600D-650D-700D-SLR-Camera-2X-LP-E8-/281348738733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4181b10ead

Total cost (excluding camera) = £380. Now you just need to pick a camera.

James

I use my canon attached to my tablet and get to see a big screen there so a flipout screen is nice but was not a deal breaker for me.

Good idea to be looking to the future when you know you will be saving for a new mount you mention in your post.

If you bought second hand that would put some money towards your new mount.

Allow some of that budget for software though you can do alot with free software like GIMP, registax and DSS.

If you have an Android phone, you can use DSLR Controller on it as an alternative to a flip screen - it has Live View plus histogram for setting the exposure duration, you can focus using a Bahtinov mask and you can even use it instead of an intervalometer for multiple long duration exposures. I use it with a 450D off eBay (£100), and a 2 metre mini USB to micro USB cable so I can stand next to the telescope

The key feature fo me when I chose a camera was a flip out screen this realy does make a big difference when trying to frame and focus an image through a scope, you can of course use tethering to display the live view image on a laptop screen but its more kit to drag around.

The Canon 550, 600, 650, 60d and 700d all have the articulated screen but only the 550d and 60d (and 60da) have true 1:1 movie crop mode that makes the particularly suitable for planetary imaging too but all are very capable generally.

If you are buying new I would look for a deal that includes a kit lens these are very capable lenses for the money for widefield ap if a little slow but great for the daytime stuff too.

Alan

Alan is quite right about 1:1 movie crop but the 600d and 70d have a digital zoom video crop which I think gets close at x3. I have started using this for planets although because my scope is quite small the camera is attached to a 5mm baader hyperion eyepiece. The flip out screen, as others have said, is really useful used with liveview. You can focus by using x5 or x10 magnification in liveview. One other important piece of kit you will need is an intervalometer.

Here are some planets taken with my 600d with setup as above. I am still learning and I do not have a modded camera so my efforts are far from as good as some on here but I get pleasure from them.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241893-jupiter-2-moons-144/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241838-firs-attempt-at-venus-last-night-144/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239434-jupiter-with-ed80-and-dslr-take-2-with-grs/

and here is a wide view with camera direct to telescope via field flattener.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/242487-first-attempt-at-leo-triplet-last-night/

I recently brought a second hand Canon 40D for £100 and self modified it which took about 40 minutes. The modifying process removes the infra red blocking filter which then enables the camera to image red nebulosity much better. If going this route the main thing is to pick a camera with LIVE VIEW. A tilting screen is a bonus but not essential.

For such a cheap camera I am getting some interesting results....

Rosette Nebula 2x 300s, 12" F4 Newtonian Scope, modified Canon 40D

IMG_0040_stack_levels_noels_1024_zpshaa3

I can recommend the Canon T5 than I actually own and am very happy with.

When purchasing a new DSLR I think it is very important to focus on lenses more than on the main body, so a less expensive body and more expensive lenses will make a difference when star shooting.

With my Canon camera I can shoot stunning photos both at night and during daylight and although it doesn't have flip screen I never saw it as an impediment.

in the end I wish you luck with purchasing your new camera :)

There is an app on the android marked called DSLR controller, all you need is an otg cable and your USB cable, use your phone for live view and all the camera controls. No real need for a flip out screen, there is also a holder that clips the phone to the camera so acts as a flip out screen in a sense, i use the app at times and it works very well. That's my 2 cents on the matter. Hope it helps.

That excellent app can also be very effectively combined with a small WiFi adaptor which I strap to the camera over the screen which is replaced by the remote view on the phone/tablet. I can then avoid the extended cabling and its risk of fouling. Details are on the app's website.

Archived