Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron nexstar 130SLT

Hi all,

The above scope has been suggested to me as a quality scope for observing deep space and planets and I understand has been nominated for awards for its quality. Has anyone got this scope and if so how do you rate it v a 200p dob ?

First of all, you can't possibly compare it to a 200p dob. It is like night and day. Sure a day is so much better to go hiking, but you go clubbing at night... :)

I've had the 127SLT which uses the same mount, and I did not like the amount of vibrations, the mount is way too light and with a longer OTA like the 130mm newtonian, it might be worse. However, had found a way to improve it (getting the celestron vibration pads and adding a 7kg weight on the accessory tray at the same time), so after that it was more or less ok. The 130mm f5 newtonian is nice for deep space, ok at planets at it would make a good first telescope. The 200p will provide even better views of course, especially if you have dark skies, but it is a much different experience. First of all, if you have to carry it to set it up, the weight and bulkiness will make you want to take it out less often. For example I bought an 80mm APO for photography and I end up using it visually more than my 200mm newtonian just because it is so easy to carry and set up. Second, you don't have tracking, so after finding something (no goto to help I assume), it still requires effort to keep it in the eyepiece, inconvenient for high magnification views of planets, especially if you also want to show others. 

I don't know if it helped or made it worse. But I think the experience with the two is so different, that the best advice is to find an astro club to try both a dobsonian and an alt-az goto. Not just look through them, but actually use them to find something and observe it. And again, the 200p for me will not make as much sense if you don't have dark skies.

Personally, I am a bit "old fashioned" and my recommendation for a first scope is one with an equatorial mount, even if it isn't motorized/goto, because it is easier to keep track of objects than a dob, you learn things about polar-alignment, coordinates etc (also good for planning your star-hopping) and can also be a first step towards things like astrophotography. But that's me, I can see why some people prefer alt-az goto, others dobsonians etc. You have to find out what works for you.

Did I make it even worse now? :)

It would be scope number three for me I have the 200p already just wondered whT thoughts were on it as it now classed as the scope of 2015 by some

And what is your other scope apart from the 200p? Things you like/dislike about the 200p and your other scope? How do you plan to use your third scope.

There is no such thing as "scope of 2015", every scope serves a different purpose.

Sw 130 was my first one I read in the times they awarded the 130 slt scope of the year

Well, so you know what you can see with it, it should not be much different than the Skywatcher. The mount is a different category of course and, as I said, it will need some tweaking to be stable. At least it is very light and easy to carry.

But in general don't base your astronomy decisions on the Times. There is no such thing as a telescope of the year. Perhaps you could say "this is the alt-az goto newtonian of the year" etc.

Archived