Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scotch Mount.

Hi all, having now completed making my first Scotch Mount . have a afew questions.

What can i achieve with it?

How long an exposure can i take to give me a good image.

Camera settings. (Lenses - 18-55mm 3.5, Nikon 35mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20 not sure on the f.stop)

Any pictures of it been used and results would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Great project.

Out of those lens at a guess I would go for the Sigma at say 15mm. I don't find the kit lens lets much light in for night use.

Have you got your scotch mount set at your altitude and have you got something to help you align it to polaris?

Both will inprove the length of time you might get. (though I have found this is helped the higher up I aim rather than lower down stuff)

I have been very happy with mine, I used it to capture comet Lovejoy.

No tripod here so I built a base for it to sit on and the base has my altitude built into it.

There is also a position for a RDF or sight tube but have found I can get 1 minute (30 seconds easy) with my 55mm lens with approximate lining the hinge towards Polaris.

When using the mount if in the Northern hemispehere the hinge is on the west side and the boards open from east towards west.

If you are at a dark location you can take pretty good shots with a static tripod using your widest lens and probably get 25 seconds before noticeable star trails anyway.

Using Deep Space Stacker will make the most of a set of images (with no landscape background).

Just need a clear night to test your scotch mount. Go for it.

Archived