SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with Orion StarBlast EQ4.5

Hi,

I've been considering to try to do imaging with my scope but as I read from various sources, the scope is not designed to do imaging due to backfocus problem and some modifications are needed. Also, EQ1 mount is very shaky from proper imaging.

I'm looking for advises from experienced people, whether is it require a lot of effort to mod the scope for imaging? Is the effort worthwhile after you captured your first image with it?

Thanks in advanced :)

Sent via Tapatalk

(1) Which scope do you have? Sorry, didn't read the title!!

(2) If the problem is you can't get far enough away, an extension tube would solve the problem.  If it's you can't get close enough, then you need to replace the focusser with a low-profile one.

(3) The EQ1 mount will certainly make imaging a "challenge".

(4) Imaging planets/moon/sun (WITH APPROPRIATE FRONT-END FILTER) with a webcam (you take an avi and then process it in a free program called Registax) should certainly be possible.

(5) Although a challenge, DSO's would not be impossible with the EQ1.  There was a thread on here years ago from someone who imaged the Horsehead nebula with subs that were only 2 seconds long, but he took a vast number of them and the result was really quite good for the limitations he had imposed on himself.

HTH

1. Orion StarBlast EQ4.5 :)

2. I need to get closer. From what I read, most people would move the primary mirror up to bring the focus point further but I need technical advise on how to do that...

3. Yes, definitely but I'm up for that challenge

4. Yeah I heard of that too but I haven't try it with a webcam. Need to dig up my old stuffs lol

5. I wouldn't put hope in capturing a DSO with my current gear haha

Sent via Tapatalk

Archived