Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ngc 5587 possible super nova?

mdstuart

So I have just come in from observing a load of galaxies...and I observed NGC 5587 in Bootes at 11.45pm.

A lovely low surface brightness slither.

Now on the NW tip (the side away from the bright field star) was a mag 14 ish star but there is no star on images or my maps so maybe a supernova?

Please can some one image it for me to see if there is a sn evident?

Thanks

Mark

AND... another thing. You say that this is the side 'away from the bright field star'. The star visible on the E side of the galaxy on the PSS image above is mag 16.0. Was your star 2 magnitudes brighter than this? If so, I guess it might well be a supernova.

To me, the image seems to show a star considerably brighter than 16.0, but that's the magnitude given for the star by the AAVSO. The star's identifier is 4UC520-056155.

Cheers,

Patrick

Thanks guys. It was about mag 14...not to the edge but at the end of the galaxy halo.....I definitely would not see mag 16....I will recheck tonight hopefully....now if I had any credit left on itelescope......

• 3 weeks later...

Update..had another look at this last night. It is definitely brighter on one end visually. Remember I can only see the brightest parts of the core and halo. I can see its a patch of brightness rather than a point source now, it looks a bit like a HIII region..

I found this which I think shows an off centre core which might explain what I am seeing.

post-1454-0-43683700-1431497568_thumb.gi

Go on big dobbers..have a look and tell me what you think.

Mark

Archived