Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leica zoom/Quark/reducer

jetstream

Todays Quark trials have ended up with success...I'll say this...I'm chuffed to bits ! :grin: I don't really know what that means but it sounds pretty good lol

The SV 90mm Raptor @ 630mm FL and the Quark have been working well together, I'll get one scope at a time figured out for Ha. The latest combination includes the Leica zoom 18-8.8mm, the VIP barlow housing ( barlow element removed) and the Antares reducer used in the Quark Chromo.

I'll have to figure out the reduction once a buddy tells me (again) where the LZ fs is located- this combination is giving excellent results, very very happy. The contrast is VG, the proms are VG and the surface detail is probably the best I've seen in the little 90mm in Ha. To be able to zoom in on the sun, with the appropriate mag range is a huge asset.

Anyone with the Baader MK3 should give this a try too. The modular Badder VIP makes spacing the reducer a breeze and the LZ with its tight fs dia is a great match to the Quarks 23mm etalon dia.

Nice one Gerry it appears we both have had a successful day experimenting.... with a barlow connection too :laugh:

For some reason I didn't think to give my Leica a go but I will as soon as the opportunity arises, it worked fantastic with the Lunt.

Todays Quark trials have ended up with success...I'll say this...I'm chuffed to bits ! :grin: I don't really know what that means but it sounds pretty good lol

The SV 90mm Raptor @ 630mm FL and the Quark have been working well together, I'll get one scope at a time figured out for Ha. The latest combination includes the Leica zoom 18-8.8mm, the VIP barlow housing ( barlow element removed) and the Antares reducer used in the Quark Chromo.

I'll have to figure out the reduction once a buddy tells me (again) where the LZ fs is located- this combination is giving excellent results, very very happy. The contrast is VG, the proms are VG and the surface detail is probably the best I've seen in the little 90mm in Ha. To be able to zoom in on the sun, with the appropriate mag range is a huge asset.

Anyone with the Baader MK3 should give this a try too. The modular Badder VIP makes spacing the reducer a breeze and the LZ with its tight fs dia is a great match to the Quarks 23mm etalon dia.

Very interesting Gerry. I tried a similar thing with my Leica and TV85 but could not get focus. Where did you place the reducer, before the quark or in the 1.25" barrel ahead of the Leica?

Sounds great. Is the reducer the 0.5x? Used after the Quark, I would suppose the field would be smaller that the LZ field stop. Do you use it in front of the Quark?

Yes, the reducer is listed at .5x @ 1.87" between the focal plane and the reducer lens. I only use it after the Quark, attached to the EP's as I heard that reducing before the etalon may cause a loss of contrast due to the etalon being fed faster than f30. I don't know this for sure and Daystar told me that the Quark is more sensitive to telecentricity than it is being fed the f30.  The reducer can cause fuzzy fs's depending on the reduction and the EP used. Honestly this reducer has allowed appropriate mags for Ha and the results have been great.

I tried a 60mm Siebert with varied success, but the Siebert is a good EP- too long a depth of field though.

Very interesting Gerry. I tried a similar thing with my Leica and TV85 but could not get focus. Where did you place the reducer, before the quark or in the 1.25" barrel ahead of the Leica?

Stu, I just thread it on the 1.25" VIP nosepiece ( barlow removed) and for me this config is best so far, more time is needed to play with the spacers. I don't know how to figure out the suns disk size... I want to try the Quark in my SV focuser and then the diag. Not sure about this yet though.

BTW, my results here are with my Baader/Zeiss 2" prism.

Stu, I just thread it on the 1.25" VIP nosepiece ( barlow removed) and for me this config is best so far, more time is needed to play with the spacers. I don't know how to figure out the suns disk size... I want to try the Quark in my SV focuser and then the diag. Not sure about this yet though.

BTW, my results here are with my Baader/Zeiss 2" prism.

Thanks Gerry, will give that a go. I normally use the T2 prism but can try the 2".

Plenty of experimentation required to find the optimum config for these things but I feel I'm gradually getting there.

Some prism diagonals show less scatter than the mirrored diagonals. My SW mirror diagonal is VG, my SV diagonal poor and the Baader prism excellent. I wasn't sure if the prism was OK for this application- it does work great so far. I tried the prism to see if it compliments the rest of the optical train, which to my eyes it does- the LZ too, which is known to be a low scatter EP.

Thank Gerry, please let me know how you get on over time with the prism and if anything changes let me know, I have read they can cause false colour when used with a triplet :smiley:

Archived