SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

is it worth changing

seanpius

Hi folks,looking for advice,can anyone tell me if it is worth changing from the NEQ6 mount to the EQ8 PRO,i will be using a side by side setup,ed127  cf triplet,ed80t cf triplet atik 314l+EFW2  filterwheel and a 1100d camera.

seanpius.

The best person who can answer that question is yourself really. My best advice is to give it a go with what you already have then if it works you've got a holiday to the Canary Islands but if it don't then tell the Mrs there's no holiday this year and place the order with FLO.

What do you think you will gain from the EQ8? How does your current mount cope with the kit that you are using?

If I was upgrading to a higher capacity mount, I think I'd be looking at something other than the EQ8 - This is based on nothing more than my own personal bias :D - Is a Mesu within your reach? 

Thanks for your replys spaceboy and sara,i was just thinking that the load i have on the eq6 would be more suited for the likes of the eq8,i was also wondering if going from the eq6 to the eq8 would be much of an upgrade, Sara i wouldn't mind having the mesu but i would have to rob a bank first.

seanpius.

Seanplus if you're considering an upgrade then should it be more something long term?  

What I mean to ask is this; would an eq8 be sufficient for the next 10-20 years or would you be looking for a larger mount after a few years?

Is it practical to hold off on a larger mount until you do get the money (from the bank one way or another? :)  )

michael 

Hi folks,looking for advice,can anyone tell me if it is worth changing from the NEQ6 mount to the EQ8 PRO,i will be using a side by side setup,ed127  cf triplet,ed80t cf triplet atik 314l+EFW2  filterwheel and a 1100d camera.

seanpius.

"Worth" is subjective.

The NEQ6 is a great mount for the money, but has a LOT of shortcomings. The power socket is poor. The counterweight bar is fixed very poorly and can move. The alt/az adjusters are shockingly poor. The build quality is highly variable. The EQ8 addresses these and more.

You'd need to consider a few things though, the EQ8 is a heavy lump. I wouldn't want to set up and tear down every night with it. It is "luggable", but nowhere near as transportable as the EQ6.

I would say that your current setup would be at the limit of the EQ6. The EQ8 will handle it like it wasn't there.

Seanpius - I'm not that far behind you, it's only the wife and kids that keep me young(ish) and (in)sane! :)

michael

Several years ago when we lived in Sydney, I knew a gent who, at the time must have been in his early '70's.  He had a pier and his instrument in a very small garden shed - something the size of the old outdoor toilets.  I seem to remember that his interest was primarily observing so there was no need for laptop, cameras etc.  Might a set up like that work?  There's another thread where someone was talking about putting an 'observatory' in the back corner of his rented house - made it so that it would be easy to dismantle when they moved.  The base of the pier was able to be covered over so that the lawn could be replace - or something like that.  Hope this is food for thought.:)

With light mounting hardware and the scopes close together I think the EQ6 would still be in its comfort zone. There are no long focal lengths to worry about here. I'm going to guess that you don't intend to do the same object on the same night with the two scopes (is this correct?) in which case they don't have to be strictly parallel and this will remove the need for a hefty adjustable mounting plate. In this scenario I'd try the EQ6 first, as Sara suggests.

Olly

Archived