Narrowband

Camera making hissing sound?

pipnina

I got my intervelometer the other day and have been messing around with it and some other features on the camera. But every time I take long exposures (either multiple 20~ seconds or single 10 minutes) the camera makes this statiky hissing that I can't record because my computer is very very loud and would drown it out.

Is this a result of it being hot? Do all cameras do this or is it because mine is defective in some way (I got it 2nd hand)?

My camera is a Nikon D3200 with the default battery.

I got my intervelometer the other day and have been messing around with it and some other features on the camera. But every time I take long exposures (either multiple 20~ seconds or single 10 minutes) the camera makes this statiky hissing that I can't record because my computer is very very loud and would drown it out.

Is this a result of it being hot? Do all cameras do this or is it because mine is defective in some way (I got it 2nd hand)?

My camera is a Nikon D3200 with the default battery.

I used to have a D3200 and used it a lot with an intervalometer and never noticed any hissing. Are you sure it is the camera and not the intervalometer? - not that I have heard noise from an intervalometer either :smiley:   Does the camera make the same noise if you set the shutter to 20 or 30 sec exposure without the intervalometer? Does it hiss straight away or after several exposures? 

Doesn't sound correct but also check the intervalometer settings, with the camera.

If the camera is doing an NR exposure then you need to set the intervalometer to account for this, as in 60 second exposure, then a 60-100 second intervlal for the NR shot, then you can start the next exposure.

Just wondering if you are doing an exposure, then the camera is attempting an NR shot and the intervalometer is trying to cut in with the next exposure.

Even if no NR shot you need to allow the sensor to cool, that duration needs to be the same or a bit more then the exposure.

So again a 60 second exposure is 60 seconds plus a delay of 60 before the next exposure.

If there is an NR exposure then you need a delay of about 3x the "normal" exposure.

A 10 minute exposure seems excessive for a DSLR, the reality is they are designed, built and intended for daylight shots of say 1/2 second at most. They are not really a dedicated astro imaging camera, they are just a way in.

This hissing has been going on with or without the intervelometer. When I was taking shots before I had the intervelometer the same happened with only 20/15 second shots.

I haven't been able to tell if it hisses straight away or not. I'll see if I can test this.

I can't really test if it's the battery or not. I only have the one.

EDIT: What's an NR shot? Is that another way of saying dark?

Just tested it with a single 30 second exposure. Camera starts by making a rumbling noise just after the shutter opens. this then gets quieter quickly to a rumbly hissy sound. (like air moving through a small gap) It was completely the same after for the full 30 seconds.

This is interesting. By old E-410 never did this...

If it's a hissing noise then check the battery immediately , if it's been damaged then there is a very real risk of fire ...  :embarassed:

How do I check the battery? I know the charger is meant to flash rapidly if it's defective but that hasn't shown anything at all since the issue was first observed.

How do I check the battery? I know the charger is meant to flash rapidly if it's defective but that hasn't shown anything at all since the issue was first observed.

Just take it out. If the battery case is bulging or damaged in any way then dispose of it immediately.  Don't dump it in general waste...take it to a recycling centre.

Had my D3200 (bought new) for a month now and I heard the same when doing star trails, a run of 60 x 30 second exposures (4 seconds between exposures) I never noticed it on the first few exposures but going back to check mid way through the run, the noise was there. Doesn't help with what the cause is, just that your D3200 isn't alone in making the noise!

Archived