Narrowband

Startravel or Evostar

Hi guys, im tinkering on the idea of picking up a Startravel 102 mm for taking photos, my question is, i already have an Evostar 120, would the Startravel 102 produce better pictures? would it reduce the CA or would it be much the same? i know there is appeture difference but im thinking quality here. any help or advice would be much appreciated. i also have the 90 mm mak virtuoso but im not that keen on it to be honest. cheers guys :smiley:

The Startravel would produce more CA then the Evostar.

The Startravel is f/5, the Evostar something like f/8.

If you are going imaging then the initial start can be "high", reasonable mount and similar on the scope and likely one "corrector" or another.

The advantage of the Startravl is that it is faster so the prime image is brighter and the focal length is shorter then on the Evostar.

The Startravel 102 will produce more chromatic abberation than the Evostar 120. An Evostar 102 would produce a little less.

I'm not an imager though so I can't comment on that side of things.

Edit: Ronin beat me to it ! :smiley:

Hi, If I was in your shoes I'd buy a 130pds to stick on your motor driven eq3 and you could be imaging straight the way. The eq3 will do 30-60 second exposures, so you can stack a binch of these in deep sky stacker which is free to download and get images any beginner will be happy with. 

The 130pds is fast at f/5, no CA, and only costs 159 pounds new :) It wouldn't make much of a dent when saving for a better mount so you might as well get some practice in whilst saving for your new mount ;)

Hi, Here's the link for FLO but I see they are out of stock at the moment. I think most retailers stock this scope though so it shouldn't be too hard to find one :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

You could try here:

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-130pds-optical-tube-assembly.html

Archived