SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Extra Kelling Heath Star party in November

Heads up that an extra Star Party is being organised in November by Birmingham AS in the Red Field.

It might be small as it's a first time and at the moment the pitches are restricted to 50 only, but I am sure if there is enough demand this will change.

I was tipped off about this when I was at Kelling and was asked to pass on the word.

http://www.winterfestastro.co.uk/

Carole 

Interesting; I might consider this.

Though the big question will be which pitches in the red field. The ones at the bottom (pitches 400+) don't have good views of the sky due to trees. The pitch we originally got at the recent Sping Star Party, the sky was about 65-75% obscured by trees, so we managed to get moved to a slightly better pitch, with about 30% obscured. 

As one of the organisers of this event (as Chairman of Birmingham Astronomical Society) we are hoping this will be the first of many "Winterfest's". I am looking forward to crisp clear skies. It may be cold, but isn't that the best condition for observing. Wrap up warm and enjoy the winter constellations. I am hoping to see many of you there. We may only have 50 pitches allocated, but I'm sure we can fill them and more.

Steveplanetsax

A note to esxste, we have arranged for the top of the red field. I have booked 301. The pitches next to the top hedge (low 300's) will probably provide some wind shielding. And a note for gooseholla just wrap up warm and enjoy the skies.

Steveplanetsax.

I think there should be star parties at Kelling all the year round!!.  Alas after the main event in the Autumn, I probably wouldn't have the time to go to any others - not even the current Spring one.  The best of luck with this event Steve, I hope it's a great success.

Great David, see you there.  

What happened to Sand Dune?  

Carole 

:-) Sand Dune was the name of a web application for amateur astronomers I was working on in 2007 and I used it as my forum name on this and many other forums

In retrospect it just seemed stupid as it implied I had some association with a large pile of finely crushed rock being blown around the desert.....i.e. it had no meaning lol!

...now the question remains ...what association did my web app have with a large pile of finely crushed rock being blown around a desert?

It came from Carl Sagan's comment that there are more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches of Earth :-)

The association was as tenuous as the popularity of my web app which was never launched by the company I was working for LOLOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Tempting indeed - I would book in if it weren't for the fact that we always go to Ft William in November for a special event - so unfortunately it would be one trip too many for us. We'll be there for the autumn equinox this year though. :)

Just had my pitch moved from 352 to 309 to take advantage of that tree line :-)

Could be a life saver with the wind coming in off the sea....in November...brrrr!

David

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it happened, and we had 2 good nights of viewing. It got a bit windy and a bit wet on the Saturday afternoon and Sunday, but I had a thoroughly good time meeting most of you, and I even did some time laps photography (A first for me) I am trying to arrange for the Yellow field for next year as its less exposed to the wind.

Hope you all enjoyed it

Steve Woodfield

Archived