SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice from any NEQ6 owners

yelsac

Hi Just wanted some advice to see how you guys polar align your NEQ6

I was recommended a little program called polarfinder which is great to show exactly where polaris should be through the illuminated polar scope on the NEQ6.

Then I go to the synscan handset to align but my question is--

Before you 2 or 3 star align do you have to be able to see polaris through your telescope eyepiece as well as the polar scope? because when you start to align on the handset you have to press ok when polaris settings comes on the screen but the telescope is pointing a little higher than polaris for it to be seen through the polar scope?

does that make sense? I'm awful at putting into words what I'm thinking!!!!!!

Sorry

After you do your polar alignment just be sure to return the mount to the home position (weights down and scope pointing North... you may, or may not, see Polaris through the scope... it depends on the scopes field of view... that does not matter.

Then switch on the mount and enter any Time, date and location info... then skip through the handset polar stuff (just press enter) and go straight to your star alignment selection.

Good luck and clear skies.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Just remember that because of cone between the mounts polar scope and the main scope Polaris will usually not be in centre of EP.

Yes that's what I mean,

does it matter that when you've finished polar alignment & now start the handset 2 star alignment that polaris isn't in the eyepiece as you start?

I use the Handset Polar Align routine, run through it twice using different stars gave me 3 minute subs with nice round star...Its listed in the manual how to do it....makes the Polar scope redundant....

Really I don't think I've seen that on my handset(version 3.25), what version of synscan are you using? How does that work without using the polar scope?

I have V 3.37, well that latest what ever that's is, how does it work, you do a 2 star align when its finished you get a Polar Alignment option, it will allow you to scroll through a list of stars, select one you can see and it then slews to it and you carry out the instruction the scroll along the handset, that's it so simple, i then do another 2 star align and another Polar Align, using different stars, no getting on your hands and knees, i have a ST80 guide scope align precisely with the main scope so all my alignment is done on a PC screen,  a Telrad helps a lot to see which way it slews when doing the PA just makes it easier to wind the t-bolts when aligning.....

Archived