SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion EP set - thoughts please

I am getting the Baader 2" click lock and star diagonal to go with my Nexstar Evolution C9.25. I am also contemplating the Baader Hyperion EP set but can't decide on the full or part set offered by FLO.

Do I need the additional EPs in the full set or not?

In principle I always want all the nice shiny things I can gather to me... But will I need the full range and why?

I can see many threads about EPs and their relative merits but haven't found a discussion on the ideal range of sizes - so any guidance, thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

I aim to do viewing and Imaging of planets, moon and solar before eventually going for dso and maybe a faster scope in addition for dso - but that's future when I can devote more of my time.

Cannot be any specific list of focal lengths, your Evolution 9.25 will want different eyepieces to my Meg 90.

I tend to suggest one at the same f number as the scope, one a bit shorter, one a bit longer and then a medium and a wide.

As yours is (I think) f/10 that means a 10mm, 8mm, 12mm then say about 20mm and 30mm.

My Meg-90 is f/6 so I would look at 6mm, 5mm, 8mm, 15mm and 25mm - I have the BST set that fits this nicely except for no 6mm.

Trouble is that on an Evolution 9.25 the focal length is long and then the delivered magnification becomes a factor. I guess that at 10mm you are over the 200x mark and so even a 10mm may not get much use, and if that does not then an 8mm will not either.

Guessing the 10mm would give 235x, usable at times, not every night, so from the quick list 10mm, 12mm, 20mm and 30mm (using sort of plossl types). Those 4 would do most things, you could add an 8mm later when Mars comes back sort of next year.

However if the 10mm is not useable often you could remove that and get say 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 30mm. All of which will I suspect get fair use.

So it is not a cast in stone rule, just an idea.

Not sure what is in the set you are contemplating but anything "short" may never or very rarely get used.

I agree with Ronin

Don't know what is in the set but all the Hyperions are good at F10, I have tried a few in my scope. 5mm and 8mm are not going to be be much use due to seeing, the 8mm may get in the scope for limited objects, The Moon, Mars because it needs it and maybe Saturn and Venus, but that's about it.

The other eyepieces you could consider are ExSc, a mix of UWA ans SWA but a bit more money, however they scope proof to some degree if you buy a faster one later, below F6 hyperions would not be on my shopping list.

Alan 

Cannot be any specific list of focal lengths, your Evolution 9.25 will want different eyepieces to my Meg 90.

I tend to suggest one at the same f number as the scope, one a bit shorter, one a bit longer and then a medium and a wide.

As yours is (I think) f/10 that means a 10mm, 8mm, 12mm then say about 20mm and 30mm.

My Meg-90 is f/6 so I would look at 6mm, 5mm, 8mm, 15mm and 25mm - I have the BST set that fits this nicely except for no 6mm.

Trouble is that on an Evolution 9.25 the focal length is long and then the delivered magnification becomes a factor. I guess that at 10mm you are over the 200x mark and so even a 10mm may not get much use, and if that does not then an 8mm will not either.

Guessing the 10mm would give 235x, usable at times, not every night, so from the quick list 10mm, 12mm, 20mm and 30mm (using sort of plossl types). Those 4 would do most things, you could add an 8mm later when Mars comes back sort of next year.

However if the 10mm is not useable often you could remove that and get say 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 30mm. All of which will I suspect get fair use.

So it is not a cast in stone rule, just an idea.

Not sure what is in the set you are contemplating but anything "short" may never or very rarely get used.

Thanks for the info Ronin.

I agree with Ronin

Don't know what is in the set but all the Hyperions are good at F10, I have tried a few in my scope. 5mm and 8mm are not going to be be much use due to seeing, the 8mm may get in the scope for limited objects, The Moon, Mars because it needs it and maybe Saturn and Venus, but that's about it.

The other eyepieces you could consider are ExSc, a mix of UWA ans SWA but a bit more money, however they scope proof to some degree if you buy a faster one later, below F6 hyperions would not be on my shopping list.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I have some reading and researching to do - may be a set isn't the best option. I may be better to select based on some of the guidance here.

Hi There,

Really worth checking out the link above,  if you have not done the magnification calculations check out the links below. Just plug in your scope and eyepiece data.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm   (switch to visual)

http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

Thanks Damiam. The 12 D string fov calc will be helpful. The link is now bookmarked as well.

Looks like I'll have some reading to do on holiday!

Archived